Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I volunteer for a local dog rescue and one of our newest rescued dogs got away from his foster. He's a bluetick coonhound and I don't know details about what happened to him, but he's horribly afraid of people.

There are tons of posters up in the particular neighborhood and a few people have called saying that they saw him near a park. I went today with the two dogs (he likes dogs, but not really people) and lots of food. I met up with a friend and her dog and we spent an hour and a half walking around in the woods. It's a big park and there are houses backed up to most of it, so we could only get to the open places by the park.

We talked to neighbors who were outside and people walking their dogs, but no luck. :( Every person that's seen him has said he was around this park. I just feel bad cos it's gotten kind of cold and it rained. :(

Someone suggested that we find a dog in heat and walk around, since he's not neutered, but I don't know if that would work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The female in heat would work, I'm sure - but carry big sticks to fight off every other intact male in the general area!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Good luck, Justine. I hope they are able to catch him soon, before he gets more frightened or hurt.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Put out some food at the house where he left from. He will eventually get hungry and if he has been there a few days; hopefully, he will come back. Make flyers and pass them out to ALL their neighbors including any surrounding businesses, gas stations, etc. Constantly check the local shelter and the shelters in the adjoining counties. We went through this with a rescue more than once and THANK GOD they were all found.
Don't give up!!!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree with the posters -- put them in laundromats, too. Photos and descriptions and a reward would help.

I doubt that a female in heat would help much because it would also draw so many other males. When my Bess came in season, dogs were chartering busses from as far away as St. Louis and Denver and congregating around our house.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, there are fliers EVERYWHERE in the neighborhood, the fire station that's right there knows about it and we got fliers to all of the businesses.

We've been calling animal control a few times a day and haven't heard anything.

Someone saw him this morning by that park, so I'm hoping that someone can find him!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I doubt that a female in heat would help much because it would also draw so many other males. When my Bess came in season, dogs were chartering busses from as far away as St. Louis and Denver and congregating around our house.
Sorry I know this is a serious topic but that cracked me up. :D There has to be a movie script based on that somewhere.

Good luck finding him Justine. Hopefully someone found him, took him in & will ring the shelter so you can get him back. :(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
:(
consider setting a live trap for him soon too ... sometimes it's the only way to get a scared dog back ...

a hound could be seen in one park one day and follow their nose a long way the next day though :(

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:(
consider setting a live trap for him soon too ... sometimes it's the only way to get a scared dog back ...

a hound could be seen in one park one day and follow their nose a long way the next day though :(
We've been trying to get together with animal control because they have traps for dogs.. but they aren't answering or returning our calls.. :(

The neighborhood is right next to a very busy road and the highway so we are all scared

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
When Ralphie was gone we put up posters...everywhere. Businesses, under the windshield wipers of all the cars in the shopping area, People from neighboring areas put them up for us. I'm talking hundreds.

We were also told to put REWARD on the poster, but not a dollar amount.

I put ads in the local papers.

I put ads on several websites. Craigslist, dang, I can't remember them all now. I think I googled lost dog or something like that.

Is he microchipped? I put posters up at the vets in the area with his microchip number in case someone brought him in and tried to say he was theirs.

Call all the vets, groomers and pet stores and put posters there as well.

One of the tips that I didn't do, but was told about is give flyers to the mail carriers. They are out early in the day so might see a scared dog that came out for food before things get busy. They also know which houses have dogs and might have a new one.

Good luck.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Also see if you can get it broadcast on all the local radio stations. If you've got one of those small community tv stations, perhaps they can help publicise it too.

How about the local schools? Maybe the kids walking to & from school might have seen him? Maybe a kid has him or knows a friend who does?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. They still haven't found him and there haven't been any sightings today or yesterday. :(

There are posters up and down all of the streets, with all the businesses, with all the mailmen, UPS trucks, FedEx trucks, etc. We've been in contact with animal control daily to see if they've found him, but no such luck. :(

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Get in touch w/your local obed instructors and classes and kennels. People who are around dogs all the time. We helped a Mastiff get back home this way about a year anna half ago. She was out in FRIGID weather for a number of weeks.

She was most mobile at sunrise and sunset, looking for food. You want to make sure the MAXIMUM number of people up and about at that time know that the dog is missing. Folks out walking their own dogs, for instance.

Also -- Dog people are apt to be more sympathetic.

And might know better how to deal w/the fear/flight/trust issues of a stray.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts