Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We begin with Benry's Mom & Dad, and Mom's going into labor by the roadside.

Flash forward to Locke catching up to the Udders and presenting -- ta da! -- Papa Locke wearing the latest in burlap and rigor mortis. Locke now wants all the answers Benry promised him. NOW. ALL the answers. Benry fumbles...

Flash - Benry is now 11 or 12 and coming to the island for the first time, which shows that Ben's tale that he was born there is a lie. Dad Benry is a loser who is recruited to Dharma as a hippy-dippy nirvanaland, but he's somewhat dismayed when it turns out he's merely a janitor. "There is room for advancement," he's told.

Benry befriends a small girl, and they go to school together. Dad's a total loser, an alkie who can't remember his son's birthday for blaming him for his wife's death (she died in childirth). Ben continues not talking much, even when the island is shaken during a volcano demonstration in Dharmaschool.

During one particularly craptastic birthday, Ben runs away into the jungle. He sees his mother on the other side of the Great Wall of the Electric Fry, and he starts to chase her, but she cryptically turns to him and says, "Not yet. It's not your time." And she walks off into the jungle.

Later, Ben gets the combination to take down the Great Wall of the Electric Fry, and he goes into the jungle to find Mummy. Cue the whispering and weird camera angels. And he finds.... Richard. Richard is part of the Hostiles that the Dharma folks have been warned about (and that the GWotEF has been put in place to repel). He says he'll take Ben -- eventually. Patience, my friend. Patience.

Current-day, Locke demands his answers. Benry tells him he's not in charge but that Jacob is. Locke demands to see Jacob, even beating Mikhail to a pulp to make his point. Benry and Locke go off in the jungle to see Jacob, who Benry assures will not be pleased.

Back with the Losties, Sawyer has Juliet's tape recorder that reveals her to be a spy. He plays it for various Losties, including Sayid and Kate, and just as he's about the blow Juliet's cover to everyone, she and Jack walk up. Juliet has just enough savvy to have Sawyer play the other side of the tape, where it's revealed that she may have sold out Sun, but she's not exactly following Benry's directions to a tee either. So the Juliet as friend-or-foe conundrum continues.

Locke and Benry walk and walk and walk. Finally, they come upon a ramshackle shack in the middle of the jungle. Benry tells Locke to kill the flashlight, that Jacob isn't too keen on technology. Locke does, and they enter the cabin.

Benry then holds a very stimulating conversation with Jacob, who's an empty chair. Locke is convinced that Benry is putting on a show, but Benry protests. When tempers begin to flare and Locke turns to leave, a deep voice tells him, "Help me."

Locke whirls around and accuses Benry of the ventriloqism, but Benry denies it. The entire cabin then goes wild, shaking and flinging items all around. The two men leave.

Benry has one more surprise for Locke: His birthplace.

In flashback, we see that Ben has gotten sick of Dad's slipshod approach to fatherhood -- AND HIS DAMNED BIRTHDAY!! He and Dad go off to a lookout point in a Dharmamobile. There, Ben kills his father with poison gas (THAT's the Roger that Hurley and Sawyer found in the VW Beetle bus). He returns to the compound and finds that Richard and the Hostiles (what a great band name!) have offed the ENTIRE Dharma camp with the same gas. Richard and Benry then go off together.

Benry leads Locke to the mass grave where the former Dharma employee roll now rests. He tells Locke about the massacre and claims that he's smarter than they were -- and Locke himself -- for having avoided the pit. He then shoots Locke in the stomach and he falls into hole. Ew. Ben then demands to know what Jacob told him, and Locke repeats the line: "Help me."

I thought this was another excellent episode.

Here's my theory. Jacob is not the invisible string-puller that Ben claims he is. Jacob is a manifestation of Benry's telekenesis, a power he had like Walt had. And two telekenitics on the island at one time is one telekentic too many. Hence Walt's exit.

Benry caused the volcanic rumble. He caused his mother's appearance. He caused the voice of Jacob. Benry is behind all the weirdness on the island: He's the black cloud of clankity sounding machinery. He's the whispers in the woods. He's the secret box that, when you open it, things you want are inside.

That's my theory.

This week....

;D

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Holy macaroni what a great episode! I wanted to see more with Jack and Sawyer and Juliette though and bringing her out as the Mole. I think Ben is a nut. Remember when he told Juliet "he" will fix her sister? Do you think Alex gave Locke the gun because she knew what Ben was going to do? Interesting, very interesting....

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
BRILLIANT Dweck! I am glad you are back! :D

I loved, loved, loved this ep! The best of the season, for me anyway. I just love how the writers tie together pieces, and then make you feel like you are some sort of freakin' genius when you figure things out! :D

Your hypothetical thinking is spot on with what my husband said last night.

Do you think Locke will die?? I guess I don't understand Benry's motivation to kill Locke, if Benry is actually "behind" Jacob's existence.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Anne said:
Do you think Locke will die?? I guess I don't understand Benry's motivation to kill Locke, if Benry is actually "behind" Jacob's existence.
Because Locke would be on the way to figuring it all out.

I'm thinking Locke is dead.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anne said:
Melissa said:

Me too. Locke knows that the Wizard's Oz is missing a few Munchkins. You saw how the Udders completely ignored Benry when he was trying to stop Locke from pounding Mikhail. Richard. Tom. They all just stood there. Locke has supplanted Benry as leader of the Udders (or was about to), so he hadda go.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
dweck said:
Princess Zoe said:
That will be too bad if he is but where does he have to go now?
He Benry? He Locke? He Terry O'Quinn? Not sure I understand your question.....
It will be too bad if Locke is dead I like his character. He has pretty much burned his bridge with the Losties and the Others, well thay are the Others.

·
Registered
786 Posts
ah, I was right Benry is EVIL!!!!! :p
Did ben make Locke kill his dad because he did? Anyway, again we see another person with a bad dad and child relationship.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Melissa said:
Anne said:

Gotcha!

I don't want Locke to die, though. I think the Losties would have taken him back, as his motivation to return to the Others, or, shall we say Hostiles, was to learn all he could about the island.

Maybe, Locke getting shot was just a figment of Benry's imagination....you know, kind of like a sneak preview into Benry's secret box?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Maybe Locke will wake up in the shower and find out it was all a dream and he's not really dead. ;)

S

·
0 Posts
I just don't understand what there was to like about Locke. He was on his own 'quest' and to hell with the other Losties. He repeatedly hampered any attempts to get off the island (the radio in season 1, the sub in this season). He constantly lied about things he knew, he was responsible for Boone's death. He hit MY SAYID over the head and knocked him out. He beat up Charlie (he may have deserved it, but still). He left Sayid, Kate and Jack at the Udder's camp to die for all he knew.

To me he was just a general bad guy who put his needs and wants over anyone who he saw as being in his way.

I'm glad he's dead and I hope he stays that way.

J

·
0 Posts
Did anyone catch Evangeline Lily (Kate) on Jimmy Kimmel last night? She said she doesn't like to watch tv much. She wouldnt watch Lost if she wasnt on it. She said when she found out about the 2 hour season finale and read her script, she got goosebumps all over her. She was blown away by what happens.

Here it is if you want to watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fw4Om8Yd98

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SandieF said:
I just don't understand what there was to like about Locke. He was on his own 'quest' and to hell with the other Losties. He repeatedly hampered any attempts to get off the island (the radio in season 1, the sub in this season). He constantly lied about things he knew, he was responsible for Boone's death. He hit MY SAYID over the head and knocked him out. He beat up Charlie (he may have deserved it, but still). He left Sayid, Kate and Jack at the Udder's camp to die for all he knew.

To me he was just a general bad guy who put his needs and wants over anyone who he saw as being in his way.

I'm glad he's dead and I hope he stays that way.
He was also the first to trust Benry, IIRC.

I never found him villainous, just seriously misguided. Much in the same way Jack gets misguided. When things worked, they were an excellent counterpoint to each other. I think Locke got really screwed in Season 2 with Eko. The plot didn't need (and was hampered by) TWO men of faith.

That said, despite coming to really like Terry O'Quinn as an actor, I wouldn't cry buckets if Locke were swimming w/the Dharma-sharks.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
JollyMolly said:
She said when she found out about the 2 hour season finale and read her script, she got goosebumps all over her. She was blown away by what happens.
The producers have called the season finale a "game changer." Between that and what she said, I definitely can't wait.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Great great update Dan!

I liked Locke. It's Jack I don't like or trust. He's too...duplicitious. But not just because of Juliet. There's something dark and sneaky about him...I've thought so from the beginning.

I have only recently gotten hooked on this show. I now wish I had been watching from the beginning, because I think there are a lot of little nuances I probably miss out on, just having come in this season. For example, finding a guy in a VW minibus...didn't see that. :-[

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vincent the Lab found Roger's arm and brought it back to Hurley and Sawyer. They followed the dog to the VW bus, which was right at the top of the hill where Benry left it last night. With Jin and Charlie, they got the bus running again, popped in the 8-track tape, and went for a joyride. Sawyer even drank some of Roger's beer.

They took the mummified Roger out of the van before riding, of course. This is LOST, after all, not Stephen King!

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I'm wondering if Benry isn't in Hurley's looney bin and all of this is just a figment of his imagination. Too many things have come and gone that I want explained. The 188 minute reset thing for one. Yes, I guess it was a good episode, but I SOOOOOO wanted to throw something at the TV when it was over. We may have found out more about Benry and his involvement with the island, but we sure didn't find out anything about what the heck is going on. I want some really answers, not just answers that pose more questions.

BTW, who the heck was the guy that stopped to help Dad Benry with his wife? He sure seemed to be some bigwig on the island. Also, what about Anna. That's the little girl's name that befriended young Ben.

GGGRRRRRRRRR.......I really hate this show some times. Three more years til we find out what's going on. Not sure I can handle the frustration. I may just watch the last episode of the show. Sure doesn't look like they're going to tell us much before then.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts