Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will tip my hand early here - I thought this was one of the most clever, incredibly written, most satisfying LOST episodes in a long, long time. Amid the fabric of the Lostians, this little drama plays out under the radar -- without the angst of Kate or the bravado of Jack. Or maybe IN SPITE of the angst and bravado. It played like a mini Twilight Zone and I was scared to death that it would jump the tracks in the final moments (wasn't sure the writers had the cojones), but by God it didn't (and they proved they did)!

It didn't advance Our Overall Story one whit, but I didn't care. It was awesome!!!

Nikki comes bumbling out of the jungle, interrupting a Sawyer/Hugo ping pong rematch. She falls to the sand... and dies. Dude. Nobody can quite figure out what's going on.

In their flashback, Paolo and Nikki reveal themselves to be Sawyer-style con artists. And pretty ruthless ones at that. They kill Nikki's boss -- the producer of the hit prime-time soap she's on -- and steal from him a velvet bag of diamonds (shades of Matt on Heroes??). They hide the loot in a series of Russian nesting dolls, then go off to catch Flight 815.

At the airport, Shannon bitches at God's Friggin' Gift.

And, as we know, the plane crashes. Nikki is FRANTIC to get her bags, and even Ethan's assistance isn't much comfort. Paolo, too, wants the bags, as much for the diamonds as for the nicorette gum he's chomping (shades of Shane on Survivor??).

They search and search to no avail.

Meanwhile, in the present, Hurley and Sawyer then find Paolo, and he's also dead. They're stumped - There's no wounds to the body, no sign of foul play, no violence. Hurley theorizes that it's a monster.

Whoosh back! Jack's making his sanctimonious speech again about live together or die alone. Shut up, Jack. Nikki/Paolo happen on the Pearl station. And the downed druggie plane. How convenient. Finally, Paolo finds the bag and stuffs the diamonds in his pants. At the Pearl, he hides them in the toilet tank -- so now we know that when the Losties were down there, he wasn't just taking a dump.

Back in realtime - Sun is scared about the deaths because she knows how stealthy the Udders can be, considering how easily they snatched her. Later, Charlie will confess that he and Sawyer hatched that dumb plot, to save face from the Locke-smackdown. Sun then goes and clocks Sawyer for his role.

Nikki and Paolo talk on the beach. She goes to see Artz and he explains his bug collection, including the Medusa Spider. Nilkki then finds a rather incriminating piece of evidence from her pal - his nicorette gum pack. So he's found the suitcase AND the diamonds, huh?? Well...

She confronts him over it. And to get him to cooperate in surrendering them, she chucks Mme Medusa at him. He's stung, and she tells him that the bite is not fatal but will paralzye him for a time. It does, and she grabs the diamonds......

Only to be stung herself by a flock of Medusas!!!!

The two of them are frozen stiff. A slow enough heartbeat to mimic death. Very shallow and unobservable respirations. And so, amid a eulogy from Hurley, they're buried alive. ~~shudder~~ In fact, Nikki wakens JUST in time to realize what's happening to her.... ~~SHUDDER!!~~

BUFF. Spinny logo. We're out.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Flight 815, Dweck. :)

Jason says he did hear the monster when the flock of Medusas came out - that roller coaster/chain type sound. I didn't catch it and we didn't tape it, so I don't know if he's nutty or not.

So, did you catch that she didn't say "Paolo Lies"? She said "PARALYZED!"

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Melissa said:
Flight 815, Dweck. :)

Jason says he did hear the monster when the flock of Medusas came out - that roller coaster/chain type sound. I didn't catch it and we didn't tape it, so I don't know if he's nutty or not.

So, did you catch that she didn't say "Paolo Lies"? She said "PARALYZED!"
Finger slip -- oops! Fixed.

D

·
0 Posts
How much you want to bet they wake up and dig themselves out of their grave?

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
THAT was a freaky ending. Every time I woke up last night (which was often) I would remember her opening her eyes at the last minute. It was kinda cool to see a few past clips from another viewpoint as well.

deific said:
How much you want to bet they wake up and dig themselves out of their grave?
I don't think so... I think the writers were wrapping up these 2 extras (remember in the beginning, when Nikki said something about all extras on tv shows being killed?). I mean, it would be pretty darn impossible to dig yourself out from the weight of all of that sand.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I saw the spider thing coming from the get go. I noticed that Sawyer is either a) starting to grow more of a heart or b) has realized that they are not going to be rescued. Good episode. Can I say again that I hate this being on at 10? I was expecting at the end to see a hand coming out of the sand.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
EXCELLENT EPISODE!

The whole beginning scene filming a TV show. The writers have a sense of humor! "You can come back to life next year" "All guest stars have to die" And then we see all our dead Lostians "back to life" this week. Yay! Artz!!!!!!!!! GREAT editing to place Nikki and Paolo in the beach/crash scenes!

Sawyer: "Who the hell are you?" "Who the hell is Nikki?" Shout out to the internet message boarders!!! ;D

I'm thinking they won't dig themselves out. Will the paralysis reverse immediately or slowly? If slowly, they are goners. No way to breathe under all that sand for long. I think there will be some movement detected by...dun dun dunnnnnnnn...our pal Vincent and he will dig them up. Hence the earlier scene of Vincent pulling the blanket off. Hubby said to remember Locke's words to Paolo: "Nothing that gets buried on the beach stays buried for long." Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnn. Again.

So were Nikki and Paolo aware of what was going on, but paralyzed from reacting? Were their minds working? Eyes seeing? Ai ai ai!!!!!!!!

Do you think the writers knew when they named the character "Paolo" that there would be a need for a name that could be mistaken for "Paolo lies" rather than "paralyzed?"

Oh I loved loved loved this ep!!! And I don't give a hoot that we learned nothing new pretty much. This is LOST at it's best.

So how do you like that Paolo knew of Ben's plan to kidnap Jack. Didn't say nothing. Found the drug plane. Not a word. Stumbled upon a hatch which opened with the mere tug of a handle while Locke, Boone(!) Hurley, et al were spending days trying to uncover, open and blow up? And still, not a word to anyone. Dude. That's cold.

Can't wait to see what the rest of you think!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CoCosMom said:
I mean, it would be pretty darn impossible to dig yourself out from the weight of all of that sand.
Unless Vincent helps!

Do'h - Denise beat me to it!

Paolo not sharing info - He was a Lostie, well-taught.

How cool was it seeing BOONE again?? The fright wig was a real kick!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Stumbled upon a hatch which opened with the mere tug of a handle while Locke, Boone(!) Hurley, et al were spending days trying to uncover, open and blow up?
That wasn't the orginal hatch that was The Pearl. Didn't Ecko and Locke find that one?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - Desmond's hatch (the one that was blown) was not the same as the Pearl, where Benry/Juliette had their little conference about bringing Jack to them.

Anyone make anything of the walkie-talkie? Is that going to come into play later?

S

·
0 Posts
I really disliked this episode. I didn't care about the characters, their backstory or whether they lived or died. The story didn't move forward, which when you don't care about the story line (not like the Hurley episode), it was a total waste of an hour for me.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Anyone make anything of the walkie-talkie? Is that going to come into play later?
I think it will, they will be able to find out what is going on with the Other's with it. Who has it, Sawyer? Sawyer will be all about getting Kate back.

J

·
0 Posts
Dang! Every time I think I know what you are all gonna feel about the Lost episode and then it's the complete opposite.
I didnt like it. I didnt care about Nikki and Paolo. I found it hard to believe the whole finding that hatch went on.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Melissa said:
I missed this too -- I should check the ep online and hear for myself. If it's true then Jin wasn't too far off from the truth, was he?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Great update!

I actually watched most of this last night. Usually I am doing something with the dogs and only catch little snippets.

*shudder* is right. :eek: This was so disturbing to me on SO many levels.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Kevin said "monster" when the spiders started coming out too. I am not familiar enough with the monster sound to know if it was there or not.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Kevin said "monster" when the spiders started coming out too.
So was Ecko killed by the Monster or just bitten by a spider? Was he not really dead when they buried him? Hmmmmm. Does Locke still have his "Jesus sitck".

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Princess Zoe said:
Kevin said "monster" when the spiders started coming out too.
So was Ecko killed by the Monster or just bitten by a spider? Was he not really dead when they buried him? Hmmmmm. Does Locke still have his "Jesus sitck".
Locke DOES still have the Jesus Stick. Could the monster and the spiders and whatever-killed-Eko be part of Benry's Box of Whatever You Dream? Paolo certainly wanted to retaliate against Nikki when the spiders appeared. And Eko clearly wanted to follow his brother at the point he shuffled off his mortal coil.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts