Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello...in the last month or so, we've noticed the hair on Moose's belly/chest area thinning out, and now it's almost completely bare. There are some very faint red marks in the area - not sure if this is due to the underlying cause of the hair loss or just irritation from bare skin rubbing on the carpet. I called the vet on Friday - she suggested bathing him with a mild shampoo in case there were any topical irritant on his skin. We live in an apartment and there were signs posted that some areas of the lawn were sprayed with fertilzer, but he hasn't shown any other signs of allergies or any other areas of hair loss. I'm going to take him in to the vet to get looked at this week, because we're planning on going up to the lake for Memorial Day weekend and don't want it to get any worse. Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He just turned 1 and has been on ProPlan Large Breed Puppy since about 9 weeks old, with no problems up until recently.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hmm. I just wonder what could have caused the sudden loss of hair. I guess I would just watch it and check the skin daily.. maybe try to figure out if there's something environmentally happening... ie if he rolls in the grass, then he loses more hair.. or something like that.

If it continues, I would definitely take a closer look at the food.. could be allergies.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Judy has some bare areas on her tummy, but not the same pattern as Moose's. She has thin hair relative to the others. The Vet saw her belly, never remarked so I guess it's OK.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My labs hair loss on her belly and around her eyes was caused by hypothyroidism. You may consider having a blood test to rule it out. Very common in labs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm okay, very good to know! I was hoping by posting on here that someone may have also experienced this. The gnats were out in full force tonight on our walk, so I'm curious to see if the dots (hard to see in my pictures) get worse. Headed to the vet on Wednesday evening...so we'll see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts