Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a surgeon about my torn rotator cuff. He said it won't improve on it's own and I need surgery. I also have bone spurs that need removed. So, Friday I go in. I'm not too concerned about the procedure, but worried about how much time I will need to take off work. I only have two weeks of sick leave. We aren't allowed to carry days over from one year to the next. Has anyone had this surgery and how long before you returned to work? I do physical work.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
SU was in a contraption for 6 weeks when he had his rotator cuff injury repaired. You will not be able to lift anything heavy for a long time. Good luck. BTW, it will take about 6 months to fully recover, but it HAS to be done. SU put it off way to long.

G

·
Sorry to hear that Linda! :( I think recovery is typically longer than two weeks. Does your company have any short/long term disability coverage?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Sorry to hear you'll need surgery.
My next door neighbor had his done about 4 weeks ago. He just got out of a sling like thing that basically imboblized his arm by tying it to his body. I know he's had some weekly therapy and was told he can stop using the sling but he still cannot lift anything or do much. I thing that at the minimum you'd better count on 6 weeks if your job involves much use of the afflicated arm.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I'm sorry you have to have this surgery. My own physician, who is an athlete deluxe, had it done several years ago. The physical therapy following surgery was brutal (and she's no weenie, believe me!!!) but is an absolute must to regain full range of motion.

I wish you all the best with this.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
It depends how bad it is torn and where.

I had 6 shoulder surgeries with a top notch surgeon due to a car accident. He always knew I had a small tear in my rotar cuff but never repaired it because it would mean opening the shoulder up the first 5 times. He also thought it was so small it shouldn't bother me. Well the 6th time when he went in to take out hardware a new arthroscopic procedure was available and he fixed it. It took care of the dull ache I had. I was only out 2 weeks but mine was a small tear. If they have to open up to shoulder to do it I think you can count on 6-8 weeks with physical work.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I had the surgery last year on my shoulder for the same things...torn rotator cuff and bone spur on my scapula. It was done orthoscopically and I had 6 mos. of PT. If you do physical labor, you will not be ready to return back to work after two weeks. It will be quite some time. :( I believe it's 6-8 weeks before you can do much because of the risk of re-tearing the cuff. It needs time to heal.

That being said, it's been almost a year now and I have full motion of my arm again and no pain...so it's definitely worth doing.

Good luck with your surgery. You will be in my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Aww Linda sorry you have to go through this. But it will
so be worth it in the end. My FIL had it done last year and
he was out with it a few weeks and it took about 6 months
for him to recover. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Oh, Linda. :( Sorry that you have to have surgery. :(

One of my neighbors had rotator cuff surgery about a month ago. He also had some pretty nasty bone spurs that needed to be removed. Gordon (my neighbor) is just now getting full range of movement. 'Tho, I doubt he could go back to any heavy lifting/yard work any time soon. His doc told him that he could be back mowing lawns (his business) by the end of May. He told us that the physical therapy portion is of utmost importance.

Sorry, friend. I wish I had better news for you. The good thing is, when this is all over with, you will feel sooo much better!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Sorry Linda, but you will feel better after your surgery & rehab is over. You definately will need more then two weeks to recover. You need time to heal. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Sorry you have to have surgery Linda. My cousin had to have this done, and I can recall her being about 6 weeks behind the ball so to speak.

I'll be thinking of you on Friday and sending good thoughts.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
oh no, I am sorry you have to have surgery. Like the others have said, I think the recovery is more than 2 weeks. I hope your employer can work with you on getting more time to heal. I will be sending out the good vibes for you on Friday.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Short Term disability begins after Day 15...if you have 2 weeks saved that should take you right to around that time. And youll get diability for the least 4 weeks of a 6 week recuperation.

so sorry you need surgery and I hope it goes well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts