Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure yet and it may not be a good idea but I feel like I have to try and I'm not sure what else to do.

Mom and dad have been doing pretty good with her but really don't feel like they want to keep her forever. Which is what I figured might happen and it's fine I am glad they have been watching her for us and given us a break and time to regroup and hopefully find a solution. They will keep her for a while yet and are in no hurry to have her out just don't want the long term responsibility so they can travel and her energy and barking are an issue for them.

I spoke to our vet about her when I had Zeus in for his yearly a while back and she suggested having blood tests run to check her hormone levels. She said especially with female dogs about her age sometimes things get out of wack causing the anxiety. She said after the blood tests they can work on getting her on some type of anxiety medication (much like a human would) that should help her concentrate then we can work on behavior modification training. I think we're going to try it I don't want her drugged 24/7 but if it's something that can help without doping her up it's worth a shot. I love her so much and I miss her but Aubrey's saftey comes first if it doesn't work we will have to find another home for her.

During the summer it's much easier for me to train and exercise her so hopefully with the warmer weather approaching that will help and the class I've been taking with Zeus has given me a lot of tools I think will be helpful for Mocha.

I hope we're making the right decision I really want her home with us but only if it's safe.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Darnit, Barb. I was hoping she would stay with your parents forever. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this again. :(

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'm torn between being happy because I want her with us and anxious to start the chaos over again. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
give the meds a try if you need to. do what works for you and your family in conjunction with your vet. prayers it will work out for all of you. good time to try with the better weather where she can burn some outdoor energy.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
If you are anxious, it will make her anxious. You need to be calm and relaxed in order to help her calm down. Think positive, and act positive instead of anxious and anticipating chaos. What you think and feel, you attract.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
If you are anxious, it will make her anxious. You need to be calm and relaxed in order to help her calm down. Think positive, and act positive instead of anxious and anticipating chaos. What you think and feel, you attract.
I really agree with this. A friend of mine has anxiety and her dog was always difficult to handle. She is now being treated for anxiety with human medication and almost overnight her dog has done a complete turnaround in behaviour. You would swear it was a different dog!

Please don't let Mocha feel you are stressed, I think it would only make your situation worse.

Good Luck with everything if she does come home again.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I hope whatever happens for her is for the best. And for you. However, let me say that having an animal on kitty/puppy prozac (or whatever) is not a bad thing nor is it a poor reflection on you. We have 2 labs and 4 cats. Most are completely well-adjusted and happy.

One cat has always been high strung and after relocating from overseas, he got truly neurotic. Hated the other cats, hated the dogs, peed everywhere. We tried everything. Finally, with many conversations with our vet, put him on kitty prozac. End of problem. No peeing, happier cat. Low dose every day. He's still very much the same personality he was - not dull or drugged out - but not as tense and easily upset.

I hope that we will be able to get him off the daily pill sometime. Meantime, it's clearly helping him and us.

I sincererly hope taht whatever approach you choose works out for you and for Mocha. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I agree with Sarah and Jackie. I know it's going to be hard to not be stressed, but when she comes back, you need to be the calm, assertive Alpha.

Does Mocha respond well when you talk to her in a fun, baby voice? Abbey loves it and I've gotten her to overcome a lot of things if I talk to her like that. Kind of goofy, but it's worth a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts