Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without giving much history, my almost 9 year old boy has suddenly started some strange behaviours (strange in that he's a nut, but never done anything like this before) and before I jump and say its related to the cancer and rush him to the doctor, I thought I'd take a poll.

Would you rush your dog to the vet if he suddenly started eating weird things. He ate a box of kleenex on monday, a whole box, before I could get it away from him. There has been a box of kleenex in this same spot, one of a club pack where nothing is different. He ate the whole thing, not the box, but all of the tissues.

This morning, he counter surfed (not unusual, he's horrible) and ate a sponge. I assumed it was because I had used it to clean the counters and may have smelled like crumbs or something. I took out a new sponge, and 5 minutes later, he ate that too. He's never eaten a sponge before.

He's also started an intermittent cough/sneeze, which is followed by some weird scratching at his belly, you know standing with his back feet.

So what do I think? Lost his mind? Rush him to the oncologist? Relax and have a drink? Strangle him? Think the itching has to do with the wad of kleenex in his belly?

I'm torn between worrying and that look I get from the vet when Rhys comes rushing in because his stools are browner than normal :shocked: (yeah I've done that).

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Well it sounds like he might have something funky going on with his tummy.. maybe just upset or something. Abbey was trying to eat the carpet and inhaled at least a pound of grass and then threw it all up. Ended up taking her to the vet and they gave me some metronidazole and panacur (dewormer) just in case. Solved the problem.

I wouldn't necessarily think it HAD to be related to the cancer, but I'm not an expert. I would probably call your vet and see if you could get in tomorrow?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I'm really not sure. I'd probably phone the vet before rushing him in. FWIW, Toby has never been much of a counter-surfer but about a month ago, he cleared the entire kitchen (and ate all the cat food) while we were home and sleeping! He's never done that before, his surfing expeditions previously were always when we were gone. He hasn't done it since.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that suddenly deciding to eat something he never has may be more of a mental thing than a physical cause. Just one day, they randomly decide to pay attention to - and eat - something they'd previously ignored.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It's so odd you would post this. My mom and I were talking just a few hours ago about my aunt's dog. She has suddenly started eating unusual things too. Very compulsively. This dog, coincidentally, is also about nine years old. No history of cancer, but you could write a book about her various behavioral issues. But those issues have never previously included inappropriate objects. ? Very strange.

My aunt was thinking it may be a food switch from recent months or weeks.

I don't know what to think. So it's just been this week? I'm not sure if I'd rush him in either, but I would probably try to start thinking of things that might have changed recently that could be causing this new behavior (both from his environment as well as any emotional changes that may be affecting him). If that makes any sense. Rhys! You are sure good at keeping Mom on her toes.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I remember my SIL telling me their GSD did this (suddenly ate inappropriate things) last year. She too was about 9 or 10. I don't remember if they took her to a vet or what happened, but she got over it and has been normal over a year. Why not give the vet a call about it since they already think you are an overprotective dog mom.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
We had a chessie who had this issue almost his entire life. (He died from eating one too many weird things). He was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and put on Prozac. He had two years of normalcy before it returned. We were just adjusting his meds when he ate the wrong thing and you know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
They just begin doing odd things when they get older. The only thing that caught my "uh-oh" attention was the cough/sneeze aspect. Now, that could just be a result of the weird things he's ingesting, but I would seriously consider having your vet check for heart abnormalities. I base this on beagle health issues, mind you, and congestive heart disease is not unusual in a beagle that age and displaying that cough/sneeze response.

I don't mean to alarm! Just... think about having the vet check

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an appointment monday morning. I don't think its rush worthy, but it put my mind at ease to call them. His oncologists are very busy so I wouldn't bother them with a phone call. I just worry he's got something lodged in his throat, because he's only eating bulky things, and the cough etc. He's not a 'thing' eater at all. He's a ripper and a shredder, but never an ingester.

Last night he ate a part of a blanket.

Its interesting you mentioned food changes, we switched him to 100% raw about three months ago. Hence my phobia that something is caught in his throat.

Otherwise we just got back from the dogpark and he's in tip top shape, outplaying all the dogs there with his frisbee. My old man.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Maybe a midlife crisis sort of....instead of buying a sports car or running after the ladies he has reverted back to his childhood.

Now he is going to do all those things he didn't do as a pup. Chew up furniture, eat paper, counter surf etc. :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
What medicine are you giving him for cancer? It may cause him a hunger sensation and since there is no food around... well the kleenex box sounds like something suitable. He might well be destroying things because he´s uncomfortable and stressed. Years ago I had to give my Dane cortisone for her bone ailments and she was hungry all the time, eating like she was starving and of course gained a lot of weight.

I would take him to the vet, definitely, not necessarily rush but take him

1 - 10 of 10 Posts