Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I leave the University I want to get a new computer (apparently we get significant discounts). I am looking for one that has excellent graphic capability. Other than that I am not sure what I want.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If you are working in graphic art, and that is what you mean byexcellent graphic capability, your answer is an Apple. That is where Apple surpasses the Windows PCs.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.k. stupid question, if I have a document in Mac, can someone with a non Mac still view it?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What kind of document? word, excel, jpg, pdf? For those at least the answer is yes.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't know much about computers. My son has a Mac, he recently had some photos taken. The photographer burned them onto disc for him. He could not view them at all. But hubby's Lenovo laptop (windows vista) viewed them fine.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Did the photographer burn a slideshow? or the actual photo files (.jpg, .tiff, .php) onto a disk?

I'm guessing the former.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro that I use for everything.. schoolwork (I use LOTS of Word/Excel files, internet, etc), video editing (LOVE iMovie) and photo editing (iPhoto/Photoshop).

The only thing I ran into a problem with was trying to view a video online, but all I needed to do was install the proper plug-in. :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Before you shell out the money for a Mac, perhaps find out which platform you'll be using in school.

The Apple for graphics mindset is antiquated.. this hasn't been true for many, many years. If you're in need of quality graphics then you have to start with which graphics card you need..make sure it's not on-board and do you need 256mb or 512mb?

Next is RAM.. imo, the more the merrier applies here.. but there is overkill.. anything above 4GB is probably more than anyone will need unless you're getting into video and 3D animation.. if that's the case, then a Mac is probably the way to go.. but not a laptop. Also check out the pros and cons of DDR2 vs. DDR3.

Talk to your profs.. find out what they recommend as far as specs go and then start comparison shopping.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before you shell out the money for a Mac, perhaps find out which platform you'll be using in school.

The Apple for graphics mindset is antiquated.. this hasn't been true for many, many years. If you're in need of quality graphics then you have to start with which graphics card you need..make sure it's not on-board and do you need 256mb or 512mb?

Next is RAM.. imo, the more the merrier applies here.. but there is overkill.. anything above 4GB is probably more than anyone will need unless you're getting into video and 3D animation.. if that's the case, then a Mac is probably the way to go.. but not a laptop. Also check out the pros and cons of DDR2 vs. DDR3.

Talk to your profs.. find out what they recommend as far as specs go and then start comparison shopping.
This is strictly for my own use (and however I develop my training/dog business. Because I work for the University I get a pretty good discount. DDR2 or DDR3? You speaking English?? I be pretty computer illiterate!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts