Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leeds Castle. One of the ones that Henry VIII frequented. Guide said it has the reputation of being the prettiest one in England. The grounds WERE beautiful.

Another view.

One of the grounds.

View from the side.

The guest cottage.

More grounds.

More grounds.

A bath tub. When I saw that, I was struck with how very uncomfortable it must have been to
really live in a castle. How cold, drafty and damp they must have been, even with servants
standing there pouring buckets of hot water over you!

The fireplace in the room with the bathtub.

Another reason castles must have been uncomfortable! They didn't show us how this worked....

Portrait of Henry himself over one of the many fireplaces.

One of the floors. Look at those hand made joints!

The toiletry case of the last Lady who lived in the castle. Can't remember her name at the moment. All tortoise shell.

Frances

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
WOW... are those purple flowers wisteria? The rat trap ... :eek: Thanks again for posting the pics.. I could look at them all day!!! :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the purple flowers are wisteria. They said spring was about two weeks early this year, which made it just perfect for us. So many gorgeous things blooming. Sometimes I would see what looked like solid blue ground in the woods outside the bus window. Turned out those were flowers called bluebelles.

Frances

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Did you get to go through the whole castle? I would love to see that. Thanks for sharing the pics, beautiful!!

Those floors are dovetailed. I'll have to show my husband. :)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Frances! Your pictures are wonderful! All of them! :)

I spent 2 weeks in London nearly 20 years ago. Your pictures brought back great memories of that trip. :)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Gorgeous. :)

Never been before. Of course, the name of the castle is a little confusing as it is not actually in Leeds but in Kent. Colin (samson) lives in Kent. ;D

Edit: looked it up on Google. It was built in 1119.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wow that is so neat! I am so amazed and intrigued by castles and their time. You must have had so much fun.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am ashamed to say I havn't been which is a disgrace as I am less than 2 hours drive away... but I think I should take my boys there, is there a maze on the grounds?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, if I haven't gotten confused with one of the other places, I believe this was the one that had a maze.

Frances

1 - 14 of 14 Posts