Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
while looking down their noses at us, that they have an English Lab (in other words a grossly over sized Lab), besides saying Caleb is right in the middle of the height standard, and just a little over the minimum for weight, I can say he fits the English standard perfectly LOL

Retriever (Labrador) Breed Standard - The Kennel Club
Size Ideal height at withers: dogs: 56-57 cms (22-22 1/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (21 1/2-22 ins)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Sometimes you can't fix stupid or ignorant.

I have people who tell me that Henry is too thin. Usually at the end of *their* leash is a grossly overweight barrel of a lab that can't walk 10 steps without huffing and puffing, nevermind do what a lab was bred to do.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I heard them called "kegs with legs" once. Thought it was kinda funny! =)
LOL. That's what they look like. We see soooo many dogs that look like that and the owners either don't care or don't understand. Maybe if they didn't give them tablescraps and cut back the food they wouldn't look like a roly-poly!!

I don't know where it all started, but a lot of people who "know everything" seem to think that Labs are some giant, 100+ lb breed.. when in reality most are supposed to be much smaller than that. Of course there are some exceptions where a dog is just huge, but still. It's not good for the dogs at all!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
It is a problem. We show both our dogs. Jackson is our black. He is just barely 22 in. and he weighs 72 lbs. He's a Canadian Ch. but we were told he'd never do well in the states because he's so small. (Although he did get a point last fall). He does kind of look like a midget in the Winners Dog class though. Canada seems to have a better grip on "bigger is not always better".

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Labs in N.Z. seem to be smaller than ones I saw in the USA. Kassa was small, wth a petite head. but still within the standard and 30 kilos.

Ernie is bigger and people used to say..gosh your Lab is big. He is down from 35 kilos to 24-25. Since his IBD he has lost a lot of weight and now they ask if he is a Lab. One asked if he was a Spaniel. ??? I have learned to ignore people.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I actually think shorter is an advantage: Most people think Misha and Homer are still pups, which totally change people´s reactions towards them (most people are very friendly with them) I´m always being asked if they are pups. And when you have to carry them for whatever reason it´s easier to carry a 26kg dog than a 32-35 kg dog! My back totally appreciates that :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I know the feeling! Calli is 49lbs, and very small, I am constantly answering "yes, shes a lab, yes a full lab" ." Then its how old is your puppy?" or "Oh, you have one of those mini labs...how cute."

I know most people just try and make conversation, but it gets old.

·
Registered
229 Posts
People are crazy. When we brought Stoli home she was only 5 lbs and some lady asked me if it was a poodle?? WTF.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
You can't fix a "know it all", I had a woman stop to talk to me when I was walking Gracie last year, she asked what kind of dog Grace was..I replied a lab. She insisted that Gracie was not a purebred lab. I couldn't get away, she followed me for about a block arguing with me.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
And I have been asked more than once if BJ is a rottie - shesh what gave it away all that tan fur?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts