Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, Brandi had her first visit to a dog groomer. My wife's been giving her a bath, but I decided to have her groomed, nails, ears from the local groomer.

When I picked her up (about an 1.5 hrs later) the employees thanked me for picking her up, and suggested professional training.
My response was....If you're an experienced dog groomer, you should expect a higher level than normal amount of energy from a lab.

I was insulted and taken back from their lack of professionalism.

From what gathered, she nibbled on everybody, barked, growled, sneered, and basically tormented them for an hour. (After listening to them babble on, I almost said "good-girl" to Brandi.

Funny......My wife gives her baths without incident. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Summer doesn't like when other people do that kind of stuff to her either. She HATES when the vet clips her nails she freaks out, so I make sure I don't let them do it anymore!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Are you kidding! :eek: You sure are taking this a lot better than I would have. You paid these people to do that service.....no matter how your dog acted. Was there any sign up saying "Well behaved dogs only." They should have been experienced enough with dogs to know that some don't like having that done by strangers.

If someone takes my money, they better not complain about me. I'm afraid I would have let them have it....and good! :mad:

Sweet, cute Brandi. How DARE anyone complain about that angel! :angel:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,113 Posts
For whatever it is worth, get her used to being handled now, while she is young, and you'll be better off down the road. We got Rogie when he was 2 1/2, after his owner (and the person that hoped to show him) determined that he was too tall and that his eyes were slightly too light, but she had made a habit of always touching and inspecting her dogs and she told us that we should keep doing it so that Rogie always remained used to being checked and handled and so that he would know that it was our right to inspect him. I have to admit that at the time I kind of thought it sounded a bit nutty, but Rogie is so good about letting me clean his ears, check his paws, check his teeth and gums, etc. He never puts up a fuss at the vet and they've commented that he's so easy to work with. Just my two cents. Brandi is very cute BTW!
 
G

·
How is suggesting obedience training acting unprofessionally?

They are dog groomers not trainers. They are there to do their job and it sounds like she did get her nails trimmed and she was bathed. The fact that they said she was growling and snarling would have me taking her to obedience class ASAP and not questioning them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,420 Posts
Yeah I think maybe if she had some training it might make life better for your family as well as her. She sounds like she doesn't know her boundries yet. If she is young, that is just typical of a growing pup to try to push you. I think most of us have been tried by our furbabies but in all honesty, training makes life so much easier all the way around. I know I wouldn't want my dog to be a brat, and I'm sure you don't either. Don't be offended by the suggestion that training is needed. Sometimes we are too close to see what's needed. :)
 
G

·
WigWag said:
How is suggesting obedience training acting unprofessionally?

They are dog groomers not trainers. They are there to do their job and it sounds like she did get her nails trimmed and she was bathed. The fact that they said she was growling and snarling would have me taking her to obedience class ASAP and not questioning them.
I agree w/ Sharon.

And I have to add, it would really concern me if I was told that my dog had "growled" or "sneered" at anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
I can see both sides of the fence here - it all goes with how the message is 'said' is my thing.

Rowan would probably let anyone do anything to her - nails etc.... she is so easy going although she doesn't like it when I do nails that much ( she doesn't growl or anything..... maybe I've come too close a time or two) ....maybe I will start sending her to a groomer for that....:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
How often do you bathe her?? Labradors are great dogs and one of the reasons is because they do not need to be bathed! :)

Also, having worked at a groomers as a summer job, I sympathize with the groomers. It is very hard to handle an excited dog, let alone try to do anything to them.

Growling is not an acceptable behavior, imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
As someone who adopted/rescued a dog at 11 mos. old and had NO training - I can honestly relate. I know as a dog parent, we tend to take comments like that to heart; however, I strongly suggest you heed their advice. I can't imagine they had anything to gain by personally attacking your dog with those comments, unless they were truly concerned. I'm sure they were trying to help.

Do yourself AND Brandi a favor - START TRAINING. It's never too late to work with the sit/down/stay and WAIT commands. Having an out of control dog isn't fun for anybody, including the dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
Aim said:
How often do you bathe her?? Labradors are great dogs and one of the reasons is because they do not need to be bathed! :)
Agreed here too. Labs don't need lots of baths. I think mine have 2 baths in the 4 years of their life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Maya cries when I don't let her in...sometimes I'll bring her into the bathroom with me as I shower other wise she'll just scratch at the door until I'm done.

When I get out this is what she does

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,345 Posts
I forgot but how old is Brandi? It sounds like she is ok with her mom doing this but is not used to others. There are some things Tal will allow only me to do but he does not growl or anything when others do.

I'd bet they groomers were just trying to offer some help so you'll have a well behaved dog. You want her to do as well around others as she does with you.

I'd definitely look into the training class, regardless of this incident or not. You'll be glad you did and the best part is that it gives you and Brandi yet one other way to bond!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I took offense to the WAY it was said. Brandi is 4 1/2 months. She growls in a playful way when you try to restrain her forcefully. I know her very well. WHo knows what really went on in that groom room.

But really, is there "bath training" in obedience class? She's gotten 2 baths in her lifetime. This was her first by a stanger.
She's a typical high-energy lab. If I'm a professional groomer, I'm not expecting a 4 1/2 month old lab to sit still for a stranger.

My "personal training" with Brandi has her "heeling" on leash, sit ,stay, down, roll over, "off" the furniture, house trained, potty on command (yes, she will pee as many times as I ask her to), no jumping on approaching strangers when on the leash with me, and more controlled behavior...She's just HYPER at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
If you don't feel comfortable or confident about what went on with what went on in the groomer's room, you shouldn't use that groomer.

And Brandi shouldn't growl. Not playfully, not at 4.5 months, not when you restrain her, not ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,345 Posts
Anthony8858 said:
I guess I took offense to the WAY it was said. Brandi is 4 1/2 months. She growls in a playful way when you try to restrain her forcefully. I know her very well. WHo knows what really went on in that groom room.

But really, is there "bath training" in obedience class? She's gotten 2 baths in her lifetime. This was her first by a stanger.
She's a typical high-energy lab. If I'm a professional groomer, I'm not expecting a 4 1/2 month old lab to sit still for a stranger.

My "personal training" with Brandi has her "heeling" on leash, sit ,stay, down, roll over, "off" the furniture, house trained, potty on command (yes, she will pee as many times as I ask her to), no jumping on approaching strangers when on the leash with me, and more controlled behavior...She's just HYPER at times.
The approach is just as important, if not moreso, than the words. A 4 1/2 month old Lab is going to be high energy and thegroomers should know that. That's why it is hard on here to make a judgement about something like this because you only see the words and not the whole communication!

That said, a little kindness goes a long way. If they did not approach you out of concern for Brandi, then their idea might have merit but the likelihood of listening to it is slim to none if it is not approached right.

The training class is just helping her, and you guys, to bond better together and teach your expectations of her. It will help you understand her behavior better and therefore help you to have an even better relationship with Brandi.

I think Tal would have been ok without obed class but it was fun, got to meet other dog owners, learned some things about dog behavior and how to understand him and how to be his leader. I liked it so well I am signed up for the next level beginning April 21! I also want to eventually get him certified as a therapy dog. He is great with children and I think he would enjoy that alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,913 Posts
I have to agree with the others. Growling and snarling should not be tolerated EVEN in a playful way (unless you are playing tug or something -- otherwise, no) and Labs do not need to be bathed. Bathing strips the coat of its natural oils. The only time a Lab needs to be bathed is if they get really stinky from swimming or rolling in something. Or sometimes a vet will prescribe a medicated shampoo for skin problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Trickster said:
I have to agree with the others. Growling and snarling should not be tolerated EVEN in a playful way (unless you are playing tug or something -- otherwise, no) and Labs do not need to be bathed. Bathing strips the coat of its natural oils. The only time a Lab needs to be bathed is if they get really stinky from swimming or rolling in something. Or sometimes a vet will prescribe a medicated shampoo for skin problems.
I didn't know all this. No baths? Wow.
The growling is only there in a playful way. She's a chicken, afraid of her own shadow. They commented that she kept going after the leash. I'm gonna guess and that she wanted to play tug 0 war with the leash. (She used to do that with me, until I didn't allow it)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top