Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just so-so when it comes to cleaning house, and with multiple dogs, there is bound to be dog hair on furniture, on the stairs, on the floors, etc, or so that's what i tell myself; however, i'm thinking my standards for what is acceptably clean is much, much lower than other people.

recently, it was pointed out to me (by another dog person) that people and dogs CAN live in a clean house.

the comment wasn't direct at me personally, but when i think about my house, my immediate response is to feel defensive and ashamed at the same time. i don't live in deplorably dirty conditions, and my house isn't a wreck, but when i inspect my house, with an objective eye mind you, i see dog hair where there shouldn't be any dog hair. you know what i mean?

i've never thought of myself as a slovenly individual, but i'm starting to think so now. i'm am both inspired and depressed about cleaning my house better. :-\

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Never let it cross over the line to unsanitary or dangerous. ;D

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
I vacuum just once a week, so I think my house may be worse than yours.

Pre-Zoe, I would get down on my hands and knees to do baseboards. Not so anymore. And I don't like to dust, so rarely do. :-\

W

·
0 Posts
I vacuum daily, wash my tile and wood floors every other day and wipe down walls and cabinets once a week. People come over and can't believe the dogs are free to roam, etc. It can be done but it's time consuming and I'm a fanatic which is NOT a good thing. ;)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I've really had to lower my standards to tell you the truth. I simply can't keep things the way I want them to be with young children and dogs and cats. I shampoo carpet and a cat pukes. I vacuum and then a dog shreds something. I dust and polish the furniture and then Jack eats cheetos and touches everything in the house. It's a losing battle. :-\

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh this is a great topic.

We are hit or miss on just about everything. We are tidy people, the bathroom is usually immaculate (usually) and we keep our stuff pretty much "put up".

We are not fanatic, however, and if the dog fur piles up it just does. We vacuum it when we vacuum everything else. Usually once a week.

The rest of the time we brush off the sofas, the chairs, the beds, the furniture with a kitchen towel or whatever is at hand and call it done.

Ummmm... I am a bit fanatic about wiping down windowsills and baseboards every weekend, but with 7 dogs? Give me a break!

Don't worry. You're house is probably just fine! :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
If you're dirty so am I, I'm sure.

At the old place I vaccuumed once a week, tops. Sometimes every ten days if no one of any consequence was coming over! The new place has all hardwood floors and I can see myself swiffering more often, but in reality dog hair on the floor just doesn't bother me that much - and the floor is too far for my crappy eyes to see detail anyway :eek: ;)

I dust monthly at best, can't stand it. But, I do not have any clutter - I am a very good declutterer, so I feel like my house looks cleaner than it really is!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It's a losing battle for me w/ two dogs and 4 kids. I'm telling you I used to go through spells where i would clean like a mad woman and would do the angry clean. Anyone ever do that? No one is participating and it makes you mad but you don't say anything and clean anyway. Well it is totally motivating. I learned that if I don't mop every day that there is no clean police that will come lock me up. I am embarassed at times if someone stops over w/ the amount of toys that are dropped everywhere and the smell of wet dog because Brownie usually jumps in the creek before we have those type of visitors. We think she's psychic. ;D

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
ME!! I do the mad clean every weekend! I try to get the BIG things accomplished while John is here to deal with the kids for me but usually I just end up trying to do the big things AND tend to the kids....with all the animals under foot. It's very frustrating.
That's when I turn into Alec Baldwin. :p

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My floors are for walking on - not eating off of.... :-X

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I used to be a fanatic before I got married and then got the boys. I do the best I can, there are no piles of hair, things are picked up and put away,but nowhere near hospital clean. I clean heavy once a week, I have dogs and a life and that's the way it goes!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I try and vacuum every other day on the first floor. Bedrooms don't get that treatment...every Saturday for a whole house vacuum. I clean the bathrooms frequently ...maybe every other day?
I don't wash the floors as much as I used to. Losing battle.

I would consider our home clean by standards I have seen. (other people's homes)

D

·
0 Posts
WigWag said:
I vacuum daily, wash my tile and wood floors every other day and wipe down walls and cabinets once a week. People come over and can't believe the dogs are free to roam, etc. It can be done but it's time consuming and I'm a fanatic which is NOT a good thing. ;)
Holy cow! I am nowhere this neat. I actually have the boys here do a lot of the housework. DS does the vacuuming - as needed usually 1-2 x a week. Other DS sweeps stairs and the porch. I do the bathrooms 2x a week (Lysol wipes are the best). Floors get washed once a week (also by a DS). Everybody does the dishes and the laundry. They all strip and remake their beds.

The baseboards get washed down 2x a year probably --- they get vacuumed more so does that count? I live in an old plaster house with a fireplace and dusting less than once a week is not an option. You can write your name on most surfaces after 5 days.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I vacuum almost every day. I don't know how you can go a week with multiple dogs? I dust about twice a week as well. My house isn't the cleanest, but it certainly isn't the dirtiest either. I can only let things go so long and then I have to clean.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Love this thread! I used to be a clean freak, at least that's what my kids and husband said. Now that I am older and tired I don't think it applies but that said cleaning is my therapy. If I'm frustrated, depressed, sad, mad, worried - I clean like a wild woman. Otherwise the house is picked up but there are dog prints on the white tile floors (who ever built this house obviously did not have dogs or kids), dog hair is known to be on furniture and there is some clutter but no one will get an illness from the place!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
I am and always will be a clean freak, dog or no dog. Dog just means a bit more work. That's just my personality. Don't judge yourself by other's standards. I have childen, so there is always some clutter...toys left out, etc. Mess is ok, but dirt is not. I just can't be comfortable unless everything is clean...really clean, and that's just me (it's my mother's fault, I grew up in a home where you could eat off the toilet seat if you wanted to ;))

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Not clean, never been a clean freak. Our house is never suitable for company. I just don't enjoy cleaning. You'd think it was really bad if I told you often I DID clean. Our house is only clean enough for company about once a year. Seriously.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I vacuumn the living room once a week but she spends very little time there. I try and dust on the weekends the cleaning lady doesn't come but if I don't get to it so what. Dad or I damp mop sweep daily the family room/kitchen area. Mom is good about doing the dishes and kitchen counters when they need them as they take no bending.

Every other week I have a lady come for 4 hours. She vaccumns the bedrooms, hall and living room. She dust and cleans the base boards and moves the furniture in the family room and cleans under everything in the kitchen and does my parents bathroom top to bottom.

I do my bathroom and bedroom/sitting room as I go so it never needs cleaning.

The guest 1/2 bath gets cleaned every other week by the cleaning lady and I will touch up as necessary in between. I did put a stop to my dad using it to dump his ostomy bag (his bladder was removed with cancer) as he tends to splash and he has an easier time dumping it in their bathroom or my bathroom as both have handicap toliets.

If my house isn't clean enough for people they don't have to visit. The dog lives here they don't. I work 10 hour days quite often and cleaning house is a low priority. It is never dirty but it is far from eat off the floor clean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I vacuum maybe once a week... my house is definatly not the cleanest, but for two dogs, cat, lots of fish and two very busy students, i think our house looks **** good. :)

if my friends have problems with it- they can go home :p (none of them do- in fact i've had a few tell me my house looks good for the # of pets we have.... lol hopefully it's a compliment)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts