Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on the return trip from our walk this morning and as usual Dylan was running around like a lunatic jumping on Jasper so Jasper took off to the opposite side of the dog park.

Normally he comes back but not this morning ! He found an interesting scent and took off through the gate on that side of the park with Dylan in hot pursuit across a quiet ( thank God ) road and me puffing and panting and panicking behind.

He eventually stopped ( couldn't stand that screeching/wheezing noise behind him ) and received a severe telling off !

OK so he had stopped and I caught up with him so I wasn't deterring his recall by telling him off.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
I know that feeling of panic with Judy. When she is on a sniffing quest, she is deaf. When she EVENTUALLY comes, it's not easy to communicate that she was bad to not come immediately without discouraging the recall.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
When I was working on recall with Hershey Kisses, and continuing, I will not call her and use the word Come or Here more than twice. When she comes the first time, she gets 3 pieces of kibble, if it takes two recalls, she only gets 1 piece. Yes, I still have kibble in my pocket at all times. Seldom have to use it the second time. Occassionally she has her brain connected to her nose and all other circuits are shut down. I will call her with her name only, primarily to get her back in sight if I have lost sight of her. Once in sight, I go and get her, no kibble. What causes the short circuit from her brain to nose, deer, rabbit, squirrel, field mice, ...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
That can be so scarey. I think probably everyone has had something like this happen at least once. Glad nothing happened!! ;)

The only time we use our dogs' e-collars is when they are off leash in an unsecured area for this very reason. Well, Spud never wears his because he's a perfect dog! Honest...he is. But I still have a little doubt about Sally. If she saw a deer or another dog's scent dog to her or whatever, I'm sure she would take off, and there's a nagging doubt about whether she would come back. That has never happened. She's always come back very well, but that e-collar is my security blanket.

And Hoppy's recall still isn't 100% either, but getting much, much better.

Oh yeah, Sally also wears it any time she's around a dock or water retrieving because she goes absolutely CRAZY! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wait. So they both stopped when they heard you calling them? How great is that! :D And who the hell left the gate open at the dog park?! I'd be pissed!!!

Thank God everyone is safe and sound.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Mine are pretty good on recall, but sometimes they just have to smell everything in the woods. I too, always carry treats and a leash just in case.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
That's sooo scary! Toby did that to me. His recall is terrible so we're working on it, but he took off of me when there was 16+ inches of snow. Try running through that! I fell at least 5 times.. haha. He ran and was hanging out on the train tracks. Boy was I glad there wasn't a train!!!! :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts