Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flynn is a trash fiend. FIEND! There is no "R" in that word!

For months, instead of constantly hoisting up the kitchen trash bin to sit on top of the dog food bin which, in turn, sits atop the washing machine, I just let it live there permanently. Major hassle for me! So, the experiment. I put it back in its regular place under the hutch with a really really really tight bungy cord across the lid. Another hassle for me, but I can readily get to the dog food again.

Now, I kinda struggle to remove the cord every time I want to toss something, it's that tight. But I was able to leave the bin in its rightful place. For nine days. Nine. Ran an errand this morning and when I returned? Overturned bin, trash everywhere (icky trash, too - wet paper towels, onion peels...), Hope lolling around in the bin lid, Flynn grinning from ear to ear.

I hope that bungy cord snapped his nose a good one when he did that!

:mad:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I feel your pain..usually Riley is crated when I'm gone for just that reason but I'm doing some work where his crate usually is so his crate is in the backyard..so I think I can leave the 11 year old out for a couple of hours while I go out to dinner..I make sure there is no food out on the counter..garbage lid down..what do I come home to..lid off the garbage and it strewn all about..grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Ah yes - the trash bin ! Mine lives on top of Dylan's crate in the kitchen ( Don't start ! I live in a hovel and it's teh only safe place ! )

I do have a Brabantia recycling bin that lives on the kitchen floor for all the tins and newspapers but as the tins are washed they aren't an attraction.

I doubt that it will stay there for long when Dylan gains his freedom but for the moment it works !

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Ah Nance, I too feel your pain. We have tried the bungy cord trick too but to no avail. I have put an upside down lawn chair on the lid and that usually keeps him out....for now. I have to laugh at my sweet Linus. He NEVER got in the garbage but since Parker came along he is all to willing to help snarf up the goodies.

And ps I'd keep an eye on sweet Hope. My former cat learned to hop on top of the refrigerator and knock bags of chips, etc down to the open mouths of her doggie pals. I think they talked her into it.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Sorry Nance, i am giggling here too. Buck has only trash surfed twice. We needed gas masks for a few days. Our bin is under the sink, in the cabinet with a ponytail elastic holding the doors shut. Problem solved.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
What kind do you have, nance? Tuck used to do that too.. so i bought the kind where you step on the pedal to lift the lid and it has worked wonders.. now Flynn may learn to step on it.. but tuck never did.. not can he get his snout under the edge to flick it over.. so it's been a good solution for us.. i even bought a small version of the same can for the bathroom which was his favourite place to thief out of the trash.. now he can't do that either..

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kelli - he's already sussed the foot pedal bins.
He uses his head like a can opener. :mad:

I think I'll just start leaving the trash littered around the kitchen floor. Just toss it willy nilly, let it fall where it may. Vegetable peels, used tissues, empty milk cartons, coffee grounds... the works.

Wonder if he'd show much interest if he has immediate access.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hi Nance

Belle used to be able to get their food container open, I now turn it towards the wall so that it opens backwards, would this work?

Ginny

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kelli - thanks for the link - I'll check that out in just a sec.
Ginn - backwards, forward, upside down... he has figured it all out.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Nance, I found this gem and it has done the trick with Champ ... so far. The lid fits down inside the top of the box, on a ledge, so it can't be nosed up. It rolls, does not tip easily, so if you were to put it in a corner, I think it would work for you. The only drawback is that it has to be assembled. :( I got the plain walnut one.

http://www.lakeside.com/details.asp...4RQT4&product=Rolling-Trash-Cans-With-Storage

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think I'll just start leaving the trash littered around the kitchen floor. Just toss it willy nilly, let it fall where it may. Vegetable peels, used tissues, empty milk cartons, coffee grounds... the works.

Wonder if he'd show much interest if he has immediate access.

Bwahahahahahah! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts