Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to visit some friends last night that I haven't seen in a while and they have an eleven year old daughter. She was just a little girl the last time I saw her (probably a year ago). OMG! She is only 11 and she has boobs and has her period already. What in the world are they putting in the milk to make this happen? I'm not kidding! When I was 11 I was a little girl still. I was years away from having boobs and my period. At 11 she can get pregnant for Gods sake! Her dad is about to pull his hair out with the hormones that are flying around the house. She is a gorgeous girl, but she is still only 11! What do you parents do? She wants to wear make-up and wear clothes that are not fit for 11 year old. The parents are going crazy. They really are having a hard time. Her mom (my friend) is a petite woman and they daughter is already bigger than her. I am so thankful that I didn't have kids! I'm no help to my friend. And my husband only had boys, so he's no help to his friend. This is a crazy world and it has really changed out there since I was growing up.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I had my period when I was 11. Still don't have boobs though.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I was 12 when I started my period and I think I was the last in my little group to get started so 11 doesn't really seem that young to me. (I'm still waiting for the boobs.)

I don't have kids but I would guess that unless you're an idiot, you say No a lot and learn to accept that your house is going to be full of drama and tantrums for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Growth hormones in meat, milk & eggs. All that hormone goes somewhere.
Could be. Her father is a professional bass fisherman and in the off season he helps out his father run their local dairy route.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be. Her father is a professional bass fisherman and in the off season he helps out his father run their local dairy route.
I said that to say that they have lots of dairy in their household!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My daughter is 11. Thankfully, she is not at all developed. SHe's very petite- she only weighs 57lbs and is probably 4'8 or so.

My trick to making sure she doesn't want inappropriate clothes- I buy her things when she is at school.

Also- I have two SIL's who are fairly young at 26-27 and they really influence her a great deal when it comes to this type of stuff. And thankfully, both live within a 2 minute drive from our house. I really am grateful that I have both of them around. They really are great role models for a tween to have.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
My son is 11 going on 18!

He too thinks he can act way older than he is, both in attitude and appearence but i'm sorry to have to tell him, no way jose!

I spend most of the time saying "no Jonathan, you are not old enough" and like golfgirlrobin said we have strops and tantrums but they don't last and he is a good lad beneath his "I wanna be a teen facade".

I agree though, at 11 I was still playing with dolls and toy strollers, not wearing short skirts and lipgloss.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My neice was 11 when she got hers. All the other girls in our entire family were at least 14. I think, like menopause, they'll get it around the same age as the rest of the girls in the family. Megan, the one who got it when she was 11, was my sisters 4th child - with a different father than the other 3. Megans fathers family all got theirs at a very young age.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I can't believe some of the things I see on facebook - girls I gave riding lessons when they were aged 6-9, now look older than I do with more revealing clothes than I own in their public profile pictures! :eek:

I got my period at 12, but was not allowed to wear make-up until I was in 9th grade, and even then I wore very little. Heck, I didn't start wearing eye liner until last year. And I'm almost 25 and STILL waiting for the boob part of the equation to come in.

I wholeheartedly agree with whomever said it was the hormones in milk, eggs and meat.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
There's long been a decline in average age of menarche (first menstruation) and also in reaching puberty for boys. You can Google changing age of menarche and get many references including the one below which I included because of the graph:

http://contexts.org/socimages/2008/09/19/changing-biology-age-at-first-menstruation/

Certainly hormones in the foods we eat MAY be partial contributors but better diets, better health care, etc., also has been a factor. I think in the 1890s, e.g., the average height for men was about 5'5"/162.5 cm and over much of the declines we've had in average age of menarache and the rising average height of adult men and women, hormones were not added to food products. So while hormones may well be a factor, they're certainly not the ONLY factor.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Growth hormones in meat, milk & eggs. All that hormone goes somewhere.
Thankfully for those of us who live in Canada, it is illegal for milk cows to receive growth hormones or hormones to increase lactation.

We eat hormone free chicken and beef. I never considered the eggs.. I'll have to see what I can find out about the eggs. I normally buy the PC Omega eggs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.