Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wonding if anyone has any idea why Mocha's started this unusal and somewhat annoying habbit in the middle of the night. The last week or so she's been licking her lips during the night making the most annoying slurping smacking noise. It actually wakes me up out of a deep sleep and then I can't get back to sleep until she stops. She sleeps on her bed next to my side of the bed so I'll reach down and pet her and tell her to go back to sleep she stops for a while but she has been waking me up at least twice a night. I think maybe she's getting woke up by my husband getting up to go to the bathroom or something which is when she starts but I'm not sure why she's doing it. I know I've heard licking lips is a sign of nausea but she doesn't seem sick at all.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Is it really her lips she is licking? Eddie makes a really loud slurping noise when licking an itchy spot sometimes and so does Fanny! For some reason they like to do this in the middle of the night when we are all fast asleep.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's her lips because I'll reach down and she'll be in mid lick and get my hand. Her head is up though when she's doing it so she's not licking herself. It's kind of weird.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When dogs are bored, some will lick themselves nonstop. Sounds like lip smacking/licking. It lasts a long time, and if they aren't stopped, they can literally lick a sore into their skin.

Be watchful, and if yours is doing this, do what you can to stop her before it's too strong a habit. Try occupying her with other things to chew/lick on. And tell her 'no'.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's only doing it at night while we're sleeping (or trying to). I have just been reaching down and petting her head and telling her to go back to sleep. which she does for a while.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Sometimes lip smacking can be a sign of nausea. Maybe a snack before bedtime for her.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that. She always get a small treat after her last potty break but normally it's just a few peices of kibble or small treat. Maybe I'll try a bigger cookie or small meal. She gets fed about 5:40p for her last meal but she always gets either some treats when we take a walk or a stuffed kong in the evening or sometimes both.

I guess I'll try a small meal before bed and take a little from her evening meal. It's not a huge deal but just a little annoying since it's waking us up several times a night.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know! SU was seriously going to kick her out of the bedroom if she did it again last night because the last few nights she kept him up.
I gave her a little food before bed last night since Laura said sometimes its nausea, and I've heard of some getting sick from not eatting for so long overnight. She didn't do it last night!! I don't know if the late night feeding had anything to do with it but I'm going to try it again tonight. I just took a little out of her evening meal and saved it for later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts