Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thunder seems to limp on his back right leg when he runs... I am not sure if it is limping even or just an uneven gait. There doesn't seem to be any pain. The leg seems to be going out wider than it should, sort of... I am wondering if this is a sign of hip problems, or could it be other things? Maybe he is just getting used to running? I will be taking him to the vet to be neutered in 2 months or so and will do an x-ray on the hips..He is 18 weeks right now...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am quite paranoid over hips since Poppy being diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia, but i would get pup x-rayed just to be sure. I was concerned with Popster because when she walked her right leg went inwards when she walked and she "bunny-hopped" when running. Now is the time to find any problems and do the preventative medicine if need be....

Michelle

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Word of caution-

He can be x-rayed at 18 weeks, yes. However, I had Gabby x-rayed at 18 weeks and then again at 9 months because I was seeing what you were seeing. She was perfect at 18 weeks, and dysplastic at 9 months.

The board certified radiologist that read the xrays said that dysplasia is very, very rare to find in little puppies (which your's is and mine was) and the joints change so much between that age and close to a year that it is better to hold off unless you are having a serious problem.

Unless you feel like spending 100+ on xrays and repeating the process down the line, I would just have your vet check the pup out, do moderate exercise on soft ground, start a glucosamine supplement, etc and wait and do the xrays after 6-8 months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My plan is to wait until he is neutered to get the X-ray. Other than the strange gait, he seems fine and is not limping at all after yesterdays too intense exercise (running around with my sisters Border Collie); (which is when I saw his unusual gait...).

·
Registered
703 Posts
if it is a real concern, I would do pennhip now for 300 bucks (if you have it). At 16 weeks it is very accurate, but not 100% - check out the site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out both websites (Penn and offa) and I believe I will wait a few months till neutering unless I see any symptoms other than the unusual gait while running. I also checked out the stats page on the father and mother on the offa website and of the 22 offspring listed between the father and the mother, 20 were listed as good or excellent hips hips and two were listed as fair. Not that this is a guarantee, but I believe it is a good sign...
Thunder also has had few opportunities to actually "run" as he is usually leashed. He does get daily 1-2 mile walks, as well as the opportunity to accompany me to work...
He looked so gangly while he was chasing the Border Collie, I am wondering if he is just learning to get his feet under him...
I purchased a long 30' lead today to see if I can get him used to some short recall runs and we will see where it goes.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Another vote for the PennHIP method - it is far more reliable for determining the likelihood of degenerative joint disease than OFA evals are. If you have the money I would suggest biting the bullet and doing it now - the hips certainly aren't going to get better in the next 6 months if the puppy is dysplastic, and if he's not, then you can go about with whatever you've been doing and not worry :)

Jake was PennHIP'd at about 6 or 7 months, after being falsely diagnosed as having bilateral hip dysplasia - his scores from PennHIP came back in the upper 80s. For me, it was worth it to know for sure what I was dealing with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts