Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bauer is almost 18 months old, nuetered, and pees like a girl. He has never lifted or attempted to lift his leg on anything. At what age to dogs normally start lifting their leg? If he hasn't done it by now, will he ever? I would much rather he stay the way he is, but I was just curious.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Tucker will be 7 in a few weeks and only selectively lifts...I think he only lifts when he is trying to show off!

Some dogs just aren't lifters...

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sam's still not lifting either. He doesn't even lift on walks he cares nothing of marking his territory! He potties once and that's enough for him!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Depends. Some never do. Both my boys lift...but not all of the time.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Boone is 5 and never has lifted his leg. Just about a year ago, he figured out that when on a walk to spread the p-mail instead of one long one at the beginning. He will now take 5-6 short ones along the way.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Duke will lift his leg at the dog park to mark trees but for serious peeing he still squats and he is almost 8.
Freckles is funny as he will slightly lift one leg and about half way through he will put that leg down and slightly lift the other leg. It's like he's not sure why he is lifting his leg.:D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL at Freckles. Very cute.

I had never really thought too much about it, but the other day my MIL said, "Oh weird, he pees like a girl." I would much rather have him "pee like a girl." :)

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Ollie started lifting his leg about a month or two ago... he's just over 10 months old now. Henry started lifting when he was under a year old, though I can't remember exactly when.

Both boyz will squat in the yard but if we're out on walks, they both lift. ;)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toby was goofy.. I don't think he ever lifted when he was living with me... but he would kind of lunge with his back legs and pee that way :)
That sounds like what Bauer does, and he does look goofy.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Homer "learned" to lift while in doggie school back when he was 7 months old. Before that he squated like Misha. This leads me to think that he learned it from other dogs at school.

In the house he sometimes lifts and sometimes doesn´t, or only slightly. He doesn´t mark inside the house (thank god). During our walks he only lifts (and pees) whenever he says hi to other dogs (males only).

It´s a guy thing to pee each other! "HEY looky how high I lift I´m gonna pee your head... HEY lookey you shorty black plush toy, I can pee much higher and a lot more than you... "

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Buck is 3.5 years old. Only recently has he started to lift his leg. Even then it is only once in a while. He mostly squats and pees.

He attempted leg lifting once when he was 5 months old and fell over. He never tried it again till he was almost 2 :p

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Otis is 2.5ish and he almost never lifts his leg, unless it's a reeeeeeeeeeallllllllllly long pee, then he'll lift it slightly at the end. Mostly he just stretches out in a stallion stance and pees that way.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't remember the other boys, but Spielberg lifted his leg for the first time (that I saw)at 11mo. at the WC in Ohio. I was so proud of my boy... lol. They will lift their leg to mark, but for actual peeing, all the legs stay on the ground.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm, maybe Bauer has never felt the need to mark. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Tucker will be 7 in a few weeks and only selectively lifts...I think he only lifts when he is trying to show off!

Some dogs just aren't lifters...
Ditto. Both Tal and Barney will lift only occasionally. Usually when we are at the field at the college where I work and they want to mark some place. As others said, some are just not lifters.

I gotta say tho, that as a man, the first time I saw Tal and then Barney lift, it brought **sniff* a tear to my eye..lol

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Buck is 3.5 years old. Only recently has he started to lift his leg. Even then it is only once in a while. He mostly squats and pees.

He attempted leg lifting once when he was 5 months old and fell over. He never tried it again till he was almost 2 :p

That must have been a sight! I'm sorry, but the visual cracked me up on that one! Poor fella!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts