Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a stray black lab (about 8 weeks old). About 10 days after we took him in, he developed parvo. He has been a very sick puppy. He has been on IV's for 7 days now and he is finally showing signs of improvement. He finally ate some food and drank some water and was able to keep it all down.
My question is: What are his chances of survival at this point and will there be any long lasting effects from the parvo?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
I am by no means an expert but I think at this point you're starting to see the other side and there SHOULD be no long term effects. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I had a Lab X that had Parvo. I was working at the animal hospital when he came in at the time with Parvo, and the owners didn't want to treat it and I elected to adopt him, and treat him. He came close to death several times during treatment, but every time the vets asked me if I wish to continue, I would go check on him, and his tail never stopped wagging. He went on to live a long life, and showed no complications due to the Parvo.

-Shannon

·
Registered
836 Posts
We have had many cases of parvo come in here, most ended with the dog surviving. There are no longterm complications once the virus has been treated. They have all gone on to live happy lives.

It sounds like you have turned a corner in his recovery. Hopfully he will rebound quickly now and get on with the task of being a happy puppy with a loving family. Best of luck with him.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
I have never experienced Parvo, but I just wanted to say thank you and God bless for saving this little guy's life. You are his guardian angel, and he's so lucky to have found you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your encouraging words. We went to see him this morning and were able to take him outside, feed him some solid food and drink some water. He really fussed at me when I put him back in the cage. The vet says maybe too more days and we can bring him home. We don't want to rush it but it sure looks like he is going to be ok. (crossed fingers)

Again, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My old Brownie got parvo when she was a pup and survived it with no long term effects. The only thing that changed afterwards was that her saliva became very "acidic", everytime she licked me I ended up with a terrible itch. Other than that she lived a happy life til 12 years old

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Follow up question: When a dog survives Parvo do they have an immunity or do you still have to keep up with vaccinations?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You should still vaccinate for Parvo. By the way... My Pitbull almost died from Parvo when he was a puppy. He survived and lived to be 16!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
My old Brownie got parvo when she was a pup and survived it with no long term effects. The only thing that changed afterwards was that her saliva became very "acidic", everytime she licked me I ended up with a terrible itch. Other than that she lived a happy life til 12 years old
Whoa?? Really????

Is this a usual side effect of Parvo? I ask because...

Last fall I rescued a dog from living in a pickup truck. He was about to go to the pound. :(

Joe Maringo stepped in and found him a home. YAY JOE!

So he's doing great in his new home, and I email with his new Mom every once in a while. They love him very much. She has told me that his saliva makes her break out, so she's trying to teach him to stop licking her face.

Could this be why?!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I don´t know if it is usual, but the vet at the time told me that is was a side effect of parvo (before parvo she wasn´t as "caustic"), that something changed in the way her liver processes work.

In theory you should still vaccinate every year even if a dog had parvo. It is very unlikely that he could catch it again, but since the viruses mutate, new vaccinations take care of these new strains also.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That is so interesting. I wrote his Mom and told her about that. She has been so puzzled why his saliva does this to her!

·
Registered
869 Posts
My uncle's lab had parvo at an early age and she too was very sick, but she's still alive, she just turned 15.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
I've not had experience with parvo, but I did have a stray kitten I took in develop panleukopenia (which is the feline equivallent of parvo). The vet told me that there was a chance that he might have a sensitive tummy and not absorb nutrients quite as easily, so especially right after recovery to make sure to give him extra high-quality food and watch his intake and growth carefully. Otherwise, there wouldn't be long-term effects.

And that yes, continue to vaccinate. Although the odds are very slim of contracting the virus again, mutations do occurr and there's less risk with regular vaccination.

Good luck with your little guy and thanks for rescuing him. Please post pictures when you finally get him home!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Glad to hear your little one's pulling through!

I had a pup catch parvo at about six months of age; she was in the office recieving fluids for several days, but recovered fully and has shown no signs of long-term problems.

I would NOT vaccinate for parvo after he's already developed immunity. It is completely unncessary once his body has developed the antibodies - the possibility of other strains would more than likely be handled quite easily by the body after fighting it off - the body and immune system adapt quickly.

Re-vaccinating, especially yearly, will only expose him to the lethal chemicals used in vaccines, thereby putting him at risk for other health disorders later in life.

If you must vaccinate, please follow the 3-year program being implimented all over the country. It is far safer for your dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We brought him (Sousa)home today! He is doing really well. He looks very skinny but he had nothing to eat for 7 days. His appetite is good and it looks like we have turned the corner and are ready to recuperate.

The vet said that after a couple of weeks they want to resume vaccinations. What is this three year program that you are talking about?

Quote:If you must vaccinate, please follow the 3-year program being implimented all over the country. It is far safer for your dog.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts