Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alfie seems to have gotten worse with his urge to lick people, he is constantly licking at the kids hands, feet etc. If he greets us at the door he immediately licks us, while its sometimes sweet it can be very annoying and with a new baby due in 2 weeks I dont want the baby covered in slobber!

Suggestions welcome! Thank you :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Emilu is a horrible licker - I think it's part of her "nervousness", and also a submissive act. I never really tried to stop her when she was younger, and I don't mind if she licks me, but I know that other people don't like it, and they shoo her away. I think that you should just try to stop him from licking the baby, but not everyone else. Don't punish him, or yell at him, just start a "no lick" with the baby. Definietly let him sniff, maybe have him lay down and put the baby next to him , but "no lick" (people who have had actual babies might know better what to do here, I'm just making it up!) I know that you don't want to try to keep him from seeing the baby, or yell at him for licking the baby, but be firm that he is not to lick the baby.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Bauer only likes to lick sweaty people. *Hurk* After a run, he wants to lick my arms and my face. He licks the kids when they are sweaty. He licks my husband after he comes home from the gym. Last night we were at my son's baseball practice, and he was sniffing and greeting people very nicely. He got to one dad, sniffed him, and then started licking his legs. *Hurk* I told him "no licking," and he stopped. The dad (who is a good friend of mine) said, "It's ok, I have been working outside all day and my legs probably have a thick crust of dried sweat on them." Ewwww! After I threw up in my mouth, we moved to the other side of the field. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bunny is a horrible licker too, especially the kids when they have food on their hands and faces or if someone is sweaty too. I think it might have something to do with salt on the skin? I just tell her to stop or go away and she generally does, unless she hasn't seen me for a little while then she proceeds to give my hands and arms a bath!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone..no lick sounds like a good plan, i wont be stopping him from sniffing the baby etc as i dont want him to be nervous around him

Never a burden Colin :)

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I think Abbey is OCD with her licking. I might have caused this on accident because I used to put peanut butter on my hands when she was a pup so she would learn to lick the hands instead of bite them. She stopped mouthing, but now she licks EVERYTHING.

I've heard of people using pepper, chili spice, etc on the skin to stop them from biting, but some dogs like it, so I'm not sure if it would work or not..!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sedona is a licker also. She grooms us first thing in the morning when she is allowed on the bed with us, but when I tell her "enough" she stops. She tries to groom me throughout the day. She only started this as she got older and not so much as a baby puppy. I watch her face and she seems to be licking us like she is showing her love for us. Nothing like a big wet lab tongue! While I give her smoochies on her head and sides of her face, I don't let her lick me in the mouth or on the face too much, just something I don't like too much. :rolleyes

Good luck with your problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts