Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there. okay so Lola got fixed yesterday morning. And now shes home and she is desperately licking and scratching at the area. Im not sure what exactly to do to get her to stop. Have any of you been in this situation and if so.... what did you do to get your dogs to stay out of that area. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Our vet sent us home with an Elizabethan collar so she couldn't lick. Can you call your vet & see if they have them? You don't want her licking the incision.

Here is what it looked like. She looks so pitiful in this picture.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Definitely, she needs an E-collar. Call the vet, they may give you one. I know if Emma had needed one, it was included in the price of the surgery.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will call and find out but it no big thing i can go out to petsmart and buy one. but what about when its time to sleep does she wear it in her crate. if she can if not i'm pretty sure we can leave her out of her crate while its on

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've also been reading for e-collars at petsmart and petco. but all i see is people saying that they break easy and they split in half. is this true

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Mine was clear & it held up well. I have to admit, we slept in the family room, she was on the loveseat, I was on the couch & SU slept in the lazy boy. She kept her collar on & could not lick. ::)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just got it. it doesn't seem to bother her. but i put her in the crate and she couldn't lay down or she really didn't try. so i don't know what t do

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
You can also use a long tee-shirt or sweatshirt to cover the area and keep her from being able to reach it. :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I will 2nd the t-shirt. Also, many vets carry a new collar that fits closer to the body instead of sticking out like a satellite dish. It looks more like this one which is called a Bite Not collar

I have this one because the std Elizabethean collar will not fit thru the doggy door. ::)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea thats what we did. i have the e-collar and i had her sleep with it on. yea during the day we can have it off while we keep an eye on her. i've also noticed shes been trying to scratch it only while she stands up but she can't reach right in the middle so she ends up scratching her side

1 - 13 of 13 Posts