Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are so many different supplements out there.. between vitamins, minerals, glucosamine/chondroitin, probiotics, fish oils/omega-3 fatty acids, etc.. it's hard to figure out which ones are needed and which type to use.

Abbey and Kolby are both on an oil blend and probiotics. Abbey is also on a mineral/vitamin tablet once a day.

Since being on the oil blend, I've noticed that both of their coats have gotten much better and Kolby's dry, flaky skin is completely resolved! :D

Just curious to what all of you are using?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I do not believe dogs need vit/min supplementation. I've also never had to give fish oil to any of my dogs ever in my lifetime. I have found dog food to offer all of what my dogs need daily. I never have dry flaky skin unless it is due to dry season/winter which a humidifier always fixes or when they are shedding.
All my dogs get probiotics. I am a huge believer in them for dogs and human alike.
Now having said that I do give and recommend vit/min supplements to dogs who have compromised immune, digestive issues and dogs who take medication/s. I also think it is important to do so in humans. Taking medication can deplete you vit/min so supplements can be useful.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
What Kim said. My dogs basically get dog food and then G/C. that's it. If you are feeding a name brand dog food you don't need to supplement.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I use Nature's Pharmacy for the most of the suppliments that I give. Everyone gets a Glucosamine/Chondroitin powder (Phyto-flex), fish oil caps and Vitamin E. When I started RAW (I do one meal each day raw, one kibble) they did get a vitamin suppliment and a probiotic. Now I give the probiotic only when I switch the protein source to something relatively new (sardines, tripe, bunny (very rarely beef) etc.). Their main protein sources rotate between venison, chicken and turkey.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
well that changes everything. LOL
one of the best home cooked books i have is by Donald Strombeck that tells you how to scientifically and correctly feed a home cooked diet and properly and scientifically supplement and balance it.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Good thread! I'm curious too!

The boys are both on fish oil, and Angus gets Cosequin. We also give a digestive enzyme, because when we stop the gas will clear the room. As soon as we go back on, they're fine. I do probiotics on and off also.

I also give the boys colostrum. Angus has always seemed to have such a funky immune system, and with the cancer and all I figured his immune system could use a boost. I give it to Simon too. I take an immune system booster, and it has worked really well for me.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I too use Nature's Farmacy products exclusively. I've come to really trust the company and respect their advice and believe in their products.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oops, I forgot: Vitamin E too.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Good thread! I'm curious too!

The boys are both on fish oil, and Angus gets Cosequin. We also give a digestive enzyme, because when we stop the gas will clear the room. As soon as we go back on, they're fine. I do probiotics on and off also.

I also give the boys colostrum. Angus has always seemed to have such a funky immune system, and with the cancer and all I figured his immune system could use a boost. I give it to Simon too. I take an immune system booster, and it has worked really well for me.
Nature's Farmacy Digestive Enhancer is a probiotic AND digestive enzyme. Love this product and everyone gets it twice a day here. One of the most cost effective as well and no need to refrigerate.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well that changes everything. LOL
one of the best home cooked books i have is by Donald Strombeck that tells you how to scientifically and correctly feed a home cooked diet and properly and scientifically supplement and balance it.
I've heard of that book and was planning on buying it. Guess I need to move it to the top of my list now! ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I do give fish oil for it's anti-inflammatory properties. It can't hurt, and personally (from my own experience...meaning I take it) I do think it helps. Since both Magnum and Ruger have joint problems I use it, and Remington gets it just because.

I also give them the Kirkland brand glucosamine/chondroitin.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Murphy gets a glucosomine/chondroiten supplement with his morning meal to aid in arthritis. Piper receives a vitamin C supplement to help with intermittent urinary tract infections.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Only one that is currently on supplements here is Jax...and you have kept up with why (his knee and bones). He gets gluc/chon, msm, vit c.

Zena occasionally gets a probiotic, as she has a queasy tummy now and then.

The girls turn 7 this year and I will probably start giving them gluc/chon then.

I never saw where the fish oils did anything for the coats in the winter.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi gets fish oil and that's it, well no fish oil on the days she gets sardines which is about twice a week. She has never shown any joint problems but I am considering putting her on the G/C, as she will be 4 in just a couple of weeks. I know several of you use the G/C from Costco, and since I also need to start using it- would/do you use the regular Kirkland brand for you and your pup's? TIA - Di

1 - 20 of 30 Posts