Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shelly brought it up! :D

We have an '04 Dodge Ram (financed) and an '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser (financed), full coverage on both.

$1,600/year. Not bad at all for NJ. Before we consolidated with the insurance company that does our homeowners and Paul's business insurance, we were at $2,800/year.

We got lucky somehow, - NJ is known to have one of the highest rates in the country.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Rates are much lower here in KS. I have my home, boat, and cars insured with State Farm -- have had for decades. Never the slightest problem in their covering or paying for any damages.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our vehicles are too old to warrant full coverage
We have 3 more payments on Paul's truck and full coverage will be dropped!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I'm afraid to take full coverage off the 2003 van, because with both of us out of work, we can't afford a high deductible, or to replace it if it gets totaled.

If someone here understands insurance and can explain to me what my best coverage would be, I'd very much appreciate it!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well aren't you all the voice of doom.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I'm afraid to take full coverage off the 2003 van, because with both of us out of work, we can't afford a high deductible, or to replace it if it gets totaled.

If someone here understands insurance and can explain to me what my best coverage would be, I'd very much appreciate it!

Send Lidosdad (Steve) a message. He sells insurance, it's to businesses but I bet he would know.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
We have a 2003 Silverado (that is almost paid off) and and 07 Trailblazer that is financed. We pay $1,740 a year for that and we have our Home Owner's through State Farm also. It think it's a total of $2,440 for all 3. We love State Farm, have never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We've got USAA. It's the only good thing that ever came from my husband being in the service. Nicest people ever. I mean strangely nice so it's kind of suspicious. We have all our work related car insurance through them along with private cars, so I'm not really sure what we pay just for us. I do know that I've had a couple of other companies want to compare rates for us and then just tell us nevermind once they heard it was USAA. However, California is crazy expensive no matter who you use.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Rates are much lower here in KS. I have my home, boat, and cars insured with State Farm -- have had for decades. Never the slightest problem in their covering or paying for any damages.

Same here. My granny started with them back in '58 and I still have it! It is amazing how much of a discount you get when your insurance is bundled with your homeowners. I don't have a boat tho!

I like State Farm and have always had good service from them. A lady ran a red light a few years ago, ran into me and did about $6000 damage to my Jeep. She had a substandard insurance company, and I finally told State Farm to go to subrogation. They had the substandard insurance company in tow in two days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
WOW that is high Amy.

We finance my Honda and have full coverage. Bob drives a beat up van with only liability. With car and home owners we pay about $60 a month. It comes right out of my checks so I think thats about what it is. We go through Metlife and I get mega discounts with them for working where I do.

I will never have State Farm again. I had them for years from the time I first started driving. My parents had them for years until my mom was in a accident and ended up having to sue State Farm. It was a mess and they totally didn't back my mom up. After that I said no way was I staying with them as I couldn't afford them if we were ever in a accident.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We go through Metlife and I get mega discounts with them for working where I do.
I have Met on two cars, the house and life policies. car one is a 1999 Crown Vic and car two is a 2006 Xterra. I keep full coverage on both. The deer in our area seem to know who has comp and collision and who doesn't. I keep a 500 dollar deductible. we pay $1,200.00 a year. we also do 200/500 instead of the state minimum of 50/100.

The house is full replacement value at around $700.00 per year.

New York isn't a cheap insurance state either.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Hmm.. well, i pay about $1200 per year for the Xterra and $600 a year for the house.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I loathe State Farm. They are swindlers and crooks--at least the adjusters down in the hurricane areas are. My mom had a lot of trouble with SF when she owned her condo down at the beach.

We have Allstate and pay about $1400/year for car insurance and $1200 for homeowners. That's on 2 cars, both financed and both fairly new (we bought them at the same time, Oct. 2007).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts