Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another post in another thread got me thinking.

How many of us are allergic to our beloved animals, yet don't let that stop us from having a pet/pets?

I'm in that group. I had allergy tests as a teenager/in my 20s and discovered that on top of being allergic to pretty much everything outdoors (and yet, where do I spend 90% of my time in good weather?) that I'm also allergic to dogs, cats, horses and pretty much everything cuddly.

Does that stop any of us? I'd rather take the allergy pill a day then to live without my critters. The happiness they bring far out weighs the suffering.

Do you think if someone has allergies that they therefore shouldn't have the joy of pets?

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Allergic to everything in God's green earth - including the puppers - but I'd rather not breath than give up my dogs/previously owned cats/previously owned horse....

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
I have tons of allergies and asthma on top of it. I take 3 different meds for my allergies every day. I am slightly allergic to dogs...but that clearly is not an issue.

However, I cannot have a cat. I would love to have one, but I'd be in the hospital within 24 hours of having one in the house. :(

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I've had allergies and severe asthma for as long as I can remember. My asthma is allergy related....meaning that when I'm exposed to something I'm allergic to, I have an asthma attack (if I weren't medicated, that is.) When I was younger, before all of the great new asthma meds, I had to go to the ER several times a year. I had allergy tests in my early to mid 20's and I was basically allergic to the outdoors, the indoors, animals, birds....most everything to some degree....lol. Except dogs. Weird. No reaction whatsoever. However, of everything they tested me for, CATS were the absolute worst...which wasn't news to me. If I touch a cat and touch my eyes, they swell shut (if I'm not medicated). If they scratch me, I get really big, itchy welts. And of course I get all of the snotty, sneezy, wheezy crap to go along with it. I LOOOOVE cats. I could never live without them. So thanks to modern medicine and decent insurance, I have four indoor cats....and they even sleep in my bed when they feel like it. I haven't been to an ER for asthma in many years either.

I guess it's all a matter of priorities. My parents have always thought I was insane for putting myself through everything I do for animals. But I love them. So to me, it's worth it. To someone else, it might not be.

BUT....if it were one of my kids, I would not put them through what I go through. It wouldn't be fair to them. I won't make my children sick to suit my wants. So far, my kids seem to be allergy free which is amazing to me.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
No animal allergies here, but Denny is allergic to both cats and dogs. The dog allergy is not too bad, but the cat allergy is terrible--a lot like Charla describes. In his case, though, he hates cats, so I don't get to have any kitties.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I am severely allergic to dogs, cats, horses, etc. Plus all that stuff outside. I tried to do something other than go to vet school because of them - my allergist told me I would have a miserable life if I tried to deal with my allergies everyday around animals. Well, turns out life was miserable in a career I didn't really want to do also!

So I get allergy injections, take claritin and singulair in the morning, benadryl as needed at night, and an inhaler twice a day (cool kid alert :cool: ). I recently stopped the injections due to time constraints, and started using a neti pot and taking raw honey every day. So far so good.

The only thing I'm allergic to that I would never keep as a pet: cats. Small doses? Okay, if I wash my hands and lint roll after. Obviously I am fine with the consequences of owning dogs lol. Although, I let Jake sleep next to me in bed last night (SO out of town) and am paying for it today. Won't stop me from doing it again tonight though - he's just too cute!

Also, my parents knew my brother and I were allergic, but they also knew that having pets is such a great experience for kids. They let us have dogs and cats anyway, but didn't allow them in bedrooms or on furniture and taught us to wash our hands, not rub faces in them, and so on. I will always be grateful to them for that :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
None here, thank goodness!

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I am allergic to cats and ragweed. I have 4 cats and take Zyrtec once a day and I am golden.
Occassionally in the fall when the rag weed is really bad I will have allergy attacks, but typically throughout the year I am fine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's the cat dander that gets me. The more cats we have the worse it gets. (3 cats now-that seems to be the limit) If I stick my face in their fur and kiss them my nose plugs up and I sneeze (so I just don't do that).

My husbands grandson is so allergic to cats that his throat will actually close up if he gets too close for a long period of time. We had to take his cat and now they can't even come to our house and be inside for very long. He takes an inhaler and a pill everyday. They keep pills and an inhaler at his school also. The doctor told him that it might be something that he will outgrow. I sure hope so.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I have tons of allergies and asthma on top of it. I take 3 different meds for my allergies every day. I am slightly allergic to dogs...but that clearly is not an issue.

However, I cannot have a cat. I would love to have one, but I'd be in the hospital within 24 hours of having one in the house. :(
Me too. I struggle a little with puppies too - adult dogs for the most part don't bother me. I can't be in a house with Goldens oddly enough.

I would love to own a horse - but they are just too toxic to me. I get contact reactions as well as being unable to breathe in their proximity. Kind of takes the fun out of it. I can go see a horse show - but petting/grooming/touching - can't do that.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
DH is allergic to everything under the sun, but we have always had dogs. He takes allergy meds everyday, and tolerates the dog just fine. In the spring (now) and fall when the outdoor allergens are at their worst, he has more trouble . . . but in the summer and winter he seems ok. :p He wouldn't live without pets though . . . he loves them so much.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I have asthma that is made a bit worse by the dogs. It's at its worst right now when they are shedding so heavily, but the inhaler keeps it pretty well under control. No way would I let that make me give them up!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
We don't have any pet allergies here, thankgoodness.

If it were Brendan or I- we'd deal with it.

However, if it were one of my kids- I would try absolutely everything to help them deal. But in the end, if my kids were constantly stuffed and unable to breathe- I'd have to say no more pets. Thankfully they aren't allergic to dogs or cats, so it isn't something we have to think about. But I do know having just been dealing with Cameron and allergies, I couldn't make him suffer constantly. I just couldn't do it to my kids.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dogs and cats I am fine with. The little ones like rabbits, gerbels, etc. I am highly allergic too. We have a rabbit and I just deal with it. As long as she isn't in my face I'm ok. When I clean her cage my nose runs and I sneeze but big deal...lol

Bob is ok with dogs but highly allergic to cats. I'm not a cat person though and he is ok without having cats so we don't have any. He can not touch the rabbit or his allergies go crazy.

I don't think either one of us could live without animals so we would just deal and take meds if need be.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
also allergic to just about everything-i'm undergoing allergy shots weekly as we speak-i keep telling him NO WAY will I ever part with Morgan. So pills nose spray & shots

1 - 20 of 26 Posts