Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a reception and had the most amazing martini ever. I have always been a "Bombay Sapphire dry w/olive" martini drinker, but this blew me away:

Hendrick's Gin, extra dry vermouth, cucumber garnish

AMAZING! Tastes like rose water, citrus, and cucumbers. And one is enough, believe me. Now I want to try it in a tonic, or a gin fizz.

Other recommendations?

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Mmmmm... i had an espresso martini the other day that was TO DIE FOR.

But I agree... would love to try that martini ;)

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please allow me to go all the way into cocktail snobbishness and fetishism:

Hendrick's is almost unbelievably light for a gin, just very "crisp" and "clean" and lets the aromatics through. You really can taste the rose and cucumber, and the classic juniper notes are far in the background. I do like a juniper-front gin like Tangueray and Boodles, but this is just a very different experience.

Vodka martini lovers who are a little nervous about the Real Thing should try Hendrick's.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Maytag Man Martini at Nic's Martini Lounge in Beverly Hills. Great vodka martinia with these huge delicious olives stuffed with blue cheese. The place also has a vodka tasting where you put on fuzzy hats and coats and go into their cold vodka storage room and sample different vodkas. Good times.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm game. I'll look for it next Superbowl (the only time I actually drink martinis)

Is Hendrick's red? I love red drinks. Cosmopolitan, Sloe gin fizz...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Extra dirty martini with Ketel One or (even better!) Grey Goose. It's just not worth drinking if it's not a good liquor. :)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I wish I could make myself like martinis. They're so glamorous, dahling. :D
The older I get, the less I can drink. I'm such a boring mom now.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Charla said:
I wish I could make myself like martinis. They're so glamorous, dahling. :D
The older I get, the less I can drink. I'm such a boring mom now.
Yeah, but with a really good martini, you can nurse it for an hour or two. Although I still have an enormously high tolerance for someone my size, as I get older I don't enjoy getting buzzed as much as I used to. Just wet your lips with it and enjoy the taste. Same with a great scotch. But then I have weird taste buds. I described a wine recently as "pleasantly skunky."

Is Hendrick's red? I love red drinks. Cosmopolitan, Sloe gin fizz...
Mon dieu! No, she is *not* red. She is clear, like all good gin should be (except Old Raj, which is yellow 'cuz it has saffron in it).

Secret guy shame: I confess I will sip SU's cosmo if she has one.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Mon dieu! No, she is *not* red. She is clear, like all good gin should be (except Old Raj, which is yellow 'cuz it has saffron in it).
darn...I guess just the bottle is red. :)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
So I went to their website, and Nathan, it does sound pretty good. I was halfway kidding before...although I'm not a huge martini fan, they aren't bad. How much does a bottle run? In other words will I have to wait for my next tuition reimbursement check or can I enjoy a bottle after finals?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It comes in a funky apothecary bottle with a cork. It's a little precious, as though they're saying, "oooh, we're soooo quaint."

Nick, it's like $30 for a bottle. Not something I would have at home. But at an open-bar reception--drink up! :D

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I haven't been able to drink gin since it made me go blind. Anyhoo, I often think I'd like a martini, but always order something else. I

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Since it made you go blind? I don't think you can just waltz into a thread and say something like that without offering us an explanation.

taptaptaptap... ;D

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Shut up..... shut up, shut up, shut up! I would drink 5-Star whisky with ginger ale like we did in high school right about now!

I miss my booze. I'm a fan of social drinking, just not while pregnant.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts