Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...why it is illlegal to pass a speedtrap cop sitting in his car, and then later down the road, flash the oncoming cars to warn them?

Doesn't that impinge on my freedom of speech rights?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It's not illegal.

But think about it.. there's a warrant out for some loser who shot some other dude.. guy's been on the lamb for a while now.. speeding around all over the place because he's a loser.. so you, seemingly trying to do a good deed, flash your lights to warn other workaday folk that the popo is ahead.. shooting loser with a warrant slows down and avoids being caught in what could have been an excellent routine pullover.

See?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Maybe it's different state to state.. but i do know for the most part, it's a myth.. in a lot of places it's not illegal, but cops prefer you think it is.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Some, or maybe most states have laws that govern the use of highbeam headlights. For example - illegal to have highbeams on withing X feet of an oncoming vehicle.

In some states it falls under laws regarding "interfering with police/government operations"

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
In this country, it's frowned upon because if you warn a speeding vehicle & he/she slows down before they hit the radar, you have just contributed to the state losing out on the revenue they would have normally collected if not for your actions. After all isn't that what speed traps are for? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the same logic could be applied to any other country. ;)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Ironically, that has happened several times in the last several weeks. Saved my butt once!!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I actually had no idea it was illegal. First I'd ever heard of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts