Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guiness in Ireland (we've already been building our tolerance), bagpipes in Scotland, museums in England, romance in France! I am so excited! ;D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I love the UK. Haven't been there in 20 years but have fond memories. Scotland - hee! - when we were in Edinburgh, the Bay City Rollers were all the rage, and their posters were everywhere.

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y NIGHT! ::)

Are you visiting London? Go to the Imperial War Museum -- the underground center of control for Churchill as he braved the buzzbombs of WW2. We were fascinated by this......

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Wow! Is this your first time visiting? Have a great time and don't forget to take lots of pictures to share with us...and please drink several pints of Guinness for me please. :)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Ahh, Guinness on tap. It's nothing like the bottled stuff here. We used to say: "C'mon and cut yourself a slice of Guinness."

On the... err... one or two occasions we found ourselves in a pub, that is. Just for touristy purposes, of course!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You will have an AWESOME time. I love to sit quietly in a pub and listen to the 'patter' - have a guiness for me too!! mmmmm ... Guiness ...

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is this your first time visiting?
Yep, our first time. We'll be gone 19 days. We will be spending 2 days in Dublin, 4 days in the Irish countryside, 2 days Edinburgh, 3 days driving through Scotland and northern England, 4 days London, 3 days Paris, 1 day travel back (we are traveling overnight on the way there).

Thanks for the tip on the Imperial War Museum. SU loves stuff like that. I think we'll also do some day tours like Frances (Sam I Am) did from London.

SU's family is from Scotland and he has found some long lost relatives online (we have a kind of rare last name so they are easy to find), one even sent him his family tree going back like 16 generations. That was really amazing. My uncle lives outside London, so we will visit him and his family. He went there in the service and married and ended up staying there.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
London! Oh. Kensington Park! And the Globe! and walking along the Thames...Oh, and in London, the tower of london is an interesting place. It is a place where you can "feel" the history- I got skin tingles when walking through there.

Oh and Paris! the Louvre! Be sure to allow time in Paris to wander. They have some really delightful open air markets that you can stumble upon....buy some bread and cheese and chocolate and have a picnic lunch.

I'm heading to Europe next week as well (I believe)- and there's something so magically "old world" about it for us Americans, isn't it?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
gabbys mom said:
and there's something so magically "old world" about it for us Americans, isn't it?
I totally agree. I remember thinking, Okay, I'm standing here next to a wall built by the Romans, and at home, we get excited over a 200 y.o. bell! It really does bring perspective......

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
You are going to have a fantastic trip. The weather has turned nasty again (we had WEEKS of perfect weather) but hopefully it will pick up for you in 2 weeks time. Not cold or anything but rainy and miserable. As I say, it should pick up...springs/summers of recent years have been hot, hot, hot.

You absolutely MUST do St. Paul's Cathedral while you are in London. You won't regret it...it is draw dropingly beautiful inside. And if you dare climb up the 1000 or so steps to the top it is an experience you will never forget. Hands down my favorite London landmark.

So if you leave in 2 weeks you are coming on the 23rd? HUGE HUGE HUGE football night here in Europe on the 23rd -- it won't mean anything to you guys but it is the Champions League Final, Liverpool vs. AC Milan. Totally irrelevant but I am so excited. ;D

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I agree about St. Paul's. I visited it numerous times during my stay and it never failed to leave a deep and spiritual impression. It was never quite the same place twice......

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Do you have an extra suitcase I would fit in? It would have to be a fairly large one. :p

You won't even know I'm there.

I hope you guys have a GREAT time. You deserve a wonderful trip! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts