Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the doctor the other day, and I have strep throat. He gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. Yesterday afternoon, I started noticing a rash. It got worse overnight, and since I'm very allergic to penicillan, I went back to the doctor this morning to make sure I didn't accidently get an antibiotic in the family (there's a lot of them).

Nope, I have scarlet fever. :eek: I really thought that was eradicated like smallpox or something. I don't know anyone who has ever had it before. Then I kinda freaked out because I know people used to die of it in the past, but apparently, it's pretty harmless now with antibiotics. The boys are going to hate me, but I'm going to lock myself away from them for a few days. Not only is my throat killing me, but this rash itches soooo bad (and the itch cream isn't doing much to help it). I'd hate for them to catch it.

*sigh*

I won't get to meet my nephew when he arrives later this week now. Even if I'm 100% better, I'm not going to chance it until the antibiotics are finished. :(

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My daughter had scarlet fever when she was younger! It was not fun.

I thought people were not contagious after being on antibiotics for 48hours?? Although, I can understand not risking your new nephew.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It probably isn't that unusual - I've never known anyone that's had it before. :) The doctor didn't seem too shocked or concerned anyway...lol

I'm sure it's okay, but it's just a mental/emotional deal for me with the baby. Our daughter passed away on Easter weekend, and this baby will be born on Easter weekend (Good Friday) so I just want to take every precaution possible to make sure I'm completely healthy before visiting the little guy. :)

The boys - as hard as I try - I already know staying away from them is really a lost cause. I'll say I will, but it's not going to happen because they'll cry and kick at the door and refuse to do their homework and just be miserable little boys. I'll just have to try to stay on the opposite side of the room from them. :)

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Make sure you take your antibiotic for a full 10 days or it will come back. Scarlet Fever is nothing to fool around with. It can cause heart damage.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I thought that Scarlet Fever was a result of untreated strep. I had it a couple of times when I was younger. It can be dangerous if it is not treated.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Frankly my dear, I hope you get well soon. (Sorry I couldn't resist)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Frankly my dear, I hope you get well soon. (Sorry I couldn't resist)
LOL!

Seriously though, I hope you get better soon! I knew a kid in grade scholl that had it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts