Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know that Penny isn't a lab (don't tell her that though! haha), and that this probably belongs in the training section, but I figured there is more traffic here.

Anywho, my issue is that Penny will NOT stop eating her leash. I've been taking her out into the yard to get her used to walking on a leash, and I've let her drag it around behind her in the house all with the same results, she gnaws and gnaws. She even gnaws when we go out to go potty.

I give her a firm "NO!" and "DROP IT" (even though she probably doesn't know that last one yet), and she goes right back to it. I've even soaked it in bitter yuck and then lemon juice :rolleyes:

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Bitter Apple! ;) Way back when we lived at camp, the director's Lab used to come over to play with **** all day. She had a habit of grabbing him by the neck. I was getting tired of replacing collars, and really didn't like the idea of **** being out in the pen without one (in case they got out). So I started spraying first his neck, and after a couple of weeks an old collar, with Bitter Apple. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
This is the only time I recommend a chain leash. Often, a few days with the chain leash will break them off the habit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Misty used to do this when I first got her (they believed she was about 8 months) and nothing I tried (even Bitter Apple) would stop her. She would only chew on it for the first 5 minutes or so of the walk and would then stop but at about a year and a half she just stopped doing it.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha Sue, bitter spray and such don't even phase this girl (they didn't molly either).

I guess I could try the chain leash thing...I just don't want her to keep chewing and a)think it's acceptable...b)chew through the leash

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bitter Apple didn't stop Kopitar from eating my steel braided hose in the back yard either.. They should advertise "not Lab approved" haha..

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You might try hot sauce--like Texas Pete. It slowed Titan down when he was a pup. He still barks whenever he sees a bottle!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I say a metal lead as well for a few days or a water squirt bottle, and squirt her right in the face when she chomps. Reward her when she drops or lets go.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See I knew you all would be able to help :D

Yup we've been working on the "leave it", as well as "drop it" and "give".

She's got "sit" down pretty well, and she is doing ok with "give" as well.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Try wetting a rag & give it a liberal dose of pepper. Wipe it along the length of the leash & let it dry. This is how I've "cured" several pups from chewing electrical leads, speakers & phone cords etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I recommend a chain leash as well. I used every taste deterrent you could think of with Baloo and he loved every. single. one. :rolleyes:

Tabasco sauce was a HUGE hit. :p

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tabasco sauce was a HUGE hit. :p

Haha!!!

Penny apparently loves lemons and hot sauce. She kept licking my hand after I had put it on her leash. Abby wouldn't even come within 5 feet of me! haha

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
The original hot dog eh !
LOL! Indeed. :)

I used it to try and deter him from making a small tear in his bedding larger when he was younger. I came home and he had eaten all of the bedding that the tabasco sauce had touched. :eek:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You have gotten a lot of good suggestions, but I think the left pic in my siggy tells a great bitter apple story. It didn't work for HK either. What you see in that picture is HK finishing off a Haralson Apple she grabbed from under the tree. As painful as that picture appears, she will run to that tree whenever it is bearing fruit hoping to find a dropped apple.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
All good suggestions! Thunder and Simba stilll chew each other loose from their leashes! I can't tell you how many leashes we have gone thru.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts