Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband just texted me. I haven't gone to see the story yet. Guy I work with said he heard on sports radio this morning that he's taking Truex with him and that they don't know where he's going yet.

Off to find the story.

Found the story. So far no details about the press conference but speculation is that he's going to field his own team.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Re: Leah! Jr. leaving DEI - press conference at 11.

You're not speaking a language I understand. :)

S

·
0 Posts

They say he and Truex will run for JR Motorsports next year - Budweiser and Bass Pro Shops will go with them.

JR Motorsports is his Busch series operation.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Scout said:
They say he and Truex will run for JR Motorsports next year - Budweiser and Bass Pro Shops will go with them.
Yeah, I just found that. Also read that Hendrick has offered him engines for his team.

Does Teresa not realize how SCREWED that leaves her? I don't know if she's noticed but the stands are a sea of red on race day.

It makes me sad that DEI won't be Jr's.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Who is this JR you folks are talking about? Has he ever won anything?

LOL

It would be funny to see him in a hendricks car......you know one of Gordons minions.

I'm so funny.

S

·
0 Posts
Melissa

I was looking at Jayski - it says there that Hendrick Motorsports "disavowed knowledge" of any partnership. Maybe they just want to wait until the formal announcement?

Teresa Earnhardt ... from what you read .. gave her husband some wonderful business advice and he did well by it. I don't know what to think about all of this. It does seem quite sad that the son won't be driving for his late father's team.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scout said:
Melissa

I was looking at Jayski - it says there that Hendrick Motorsports "disavowed knowledge" of any partnership. Maybe they just want to wait until the formal announcement?

Teresa Earnhardt ... from what you read .. gave her husband some wonderful business advice and he did well by it. I don't know what to think about all of this. It does seem quite sad that the son won't be driving for his late father's team.
I read the Hendrick engines thing in the article on nascar.com.

I've heard all that too - that she was very instrumental in his business - so you'd think she would have done more to work this out. I know Jr. has said that their relationship is not the best, but keeping him on A. is the best for the business itself and B. it would HAVE to be what Sr. would have wanted, I'd think.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Does this mean he'll be not winning and mostly whining for somebody else?

B

·
0 Posts
I just saw this and was coming over here to see if someone else was going to post or if I was going to start this up...hehehe

Let's put it this way...Teresa was very good at running the business and letting Dale handle the racing. When that was lost in 2001, the infrastructure held up for a while but when the key people Dale had in place left...it fell apart. Teresa put the money into the Foundation, Dale's merchandise, everwhere BUT into the racing. DEI was taking their cars across town to JR Motorsports to put them on the 7 post shaker machine. That is standard equipment everywhere else, and yet they were taking it to an independent BUSCH team's shop??? Give me a break.

Then she starts an entertainment division after talking sh** about how Junior can't make up his mind about being in the entertainment business or being a driver. ::)

NOW the story about a Yates - DEI merger makes sense. It would be a cold day in hell before Junior drives a Ford but now that he's gone...DEI goes Ford and Junior drives for someone else. The "ah ha!" moment about those rumors is here.

I seriously hope he isn't running his own cars. Leave the Busch team alone, it's not ready to go Cup yet. Go run for Childress or Gibbs. Hendrick is maxed at four teams. And God help me if he were to go run for Whiners Inc. anyway. I'd throw up a little in my mouth every time I saw him in a Hendrick uniform even if Jimmie is less hateful to me now (oy - I can't believe THAT is happening). Now Junior and my other favorite driver (Stewart) on the same team...HAPPY ME!!! Not to mention Junior is a Redskins fan and Coach Joe owns Gibbs...it is a perfect match. In my world anyway. ;D

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Him going to RCR would be some sort of karmic full circle.

Not long ago he said that he wanted JR M to go Cup and apparently Kelly looked at him sideways and then he retracted that and said they were fine with just Busch and he didn't want to get too big. But the only speculation out there is that's what's happening. At least that's all that I've read this morning.

We'll find out momentarily.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This reminds me of that commercial he did where he joked that he was changing his number from 8 to 6.7.

I wonder if she'll let him take the 8 with him.

msnbc.com said:
“I’ve always thought RCR just because of the Childress-Earnhardt relationship,” said Waltrip of Richard Childress Racing, where the elder Earnhardt won six of his seven championships. “I have personally have always thought the racing world would be right if Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove the black No. 3 car.”

B

·
0 Posts
This press conference is VERY good. He looks exhausted. I think talking to the employees really took it out of him.

Doesn't look like they're taking JRM to Cup though thank God.

I liked that 6.7 commercial. She won't give up the 8. No way. She made him pay for the rights to his own name, she won't give up that number.

He doesn't really want to drive the 3 until the last year he retires I don't think. I hope Tony Jr. goes with him.

This not knowing what team he's going to is going to drive me bonkers!!

Oh ****...he didn't shut the door about the Hendrick relationship for motors/chassis for JRM. UGH.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I bet Dale is rolling in his grave. Congrats Theresa, you won the battle but I'm pretty sure you're going to loose the war. Who's gonna race for DEI now? I can't see anyone running to them - if anything out of respect for Jr.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=dw-juniordei050907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Boston Red Sox once sold Babe Ruth so its owner could fund a play. The Portland Trail Blazers once passed on Michael Jordan. The Minnesota Vikings once traded five players and six draft picks for Herschel Walker.

None of those moves were as disastrously bad as the one Teresa Earnhardt made when she thought she could call Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s bluff about leaving his late father's racing team.

Her stepson was serious. Painfully so for DEI.

Thursday at his JR Motorsports headquarters in North Carolina, Earnhardt Jr. announced he is leaving DEI. Whether he is going to drive for his own team or will join an existing competitor is not certain.

What is known is that he'll still be sponsored by Budweiser, still will drive a Chevy and, of course, still be the overwhelmingly most popular and recognizable driver in NASCAR.

Only now, he'll be doing it for even more money and even more (if not total) control.

Junior had asked for a majority stake of DEI to stay. No one yet knows how negotiations between Junior and Teresa broke down – maybe Teresa really did all she could, but it doesn't seem like she was willing to give Junior the 51 percent control he wanted. Now she has 100 percent of a company in ruin.

Financially, the best move for Junior would be to expand his JR Motorsports, currently a Busch Series operation, to Nextel Cup, where he and current teammate Martin Truex could form a two-car team. With engine and technical support from Hendrick Motorsports, winners of seven of the season's 10 races, it could be a formidable team from Daytona on.

Most importantly, it would allow Junior to control the outrageous revenue he brings in, cashing in on the popularity that made him bigger than DEI, even if DEI couldn't realize it.

Since his father's on-track death in 2001, Earnhardt Jr., now 32, has become the driving force in all of NASCAR. He has what, half the fans? Sixty percent? Seventy? Any track, any weekend is a home game for Junior, as a sea of red-clad worshippers make him more beloved than his nearest competitors – the likes of Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon – combined.

When Junior takes the lead the place goes nuts. When someone bumps him into a wreck, they'll be met, eventually, with a hail of boos and beer cans from the grandstands.

There essentially is nothing else like it in sports. Only Tiger Woods controls golf in the same manner – assuring crowds, television ratings and revenue. But Woods doesn't play every week, and culturally golf and NASCAR fans are little alike.

Even so, you wouldn't see Nike Golf let Tiger walk under almost any circumstances. You wouldn't see Nike co-founder Phil Knight assume he could just rebuild the division with someone else. Nike knows Tiger is the golf division.

That Teresa Earnhardt didn't see the same in her stepson is stunning. Maybe she really never does show up at the track? Maybe she really never talks to Junior and still thinks he was some silly, hard-partying kid who didn't know the difference between tens of millions and hundreds of millions?

Whatever it was, it was a colossal miscalculation.

If both Junior and Truex leave (Truex's future is unknown), DEI's Nextel Cup driver stable would consist of rookie Paul Menard and, uh, yeah, that's it.

It will still have the Intimidator's likeness to sell – a considerable cash stream. And Jeffrey Earnhardt – Senior's grandson and Junior's nephew – is under contract, but he's 17 and several years away, if ever.

But other than that, it's a leveling of the company. By not sharing more with Junior, Teresa wound up with all of nothing.

Meanwhile, if Junior keeps this in-house at JR Motorsports (where his sister Kelley is president) he officially can begin to print money. His new operation will select its marketing partners from a crush of Fortune 500 companies.

In terms of merchandise sales, this could be historic; the most popular driver with a new car and number.

Many fans hope Richard Childress Racing would surrender the rights to Senior's No. 3 and allow Junior to run it himself, but no matter the number, there are millions of Junior fans now in the market for new T-shirts, bumper stickers, key chains, flag, tattoos and heaven knows what else. The No. 8 is obsolete.

It's like the New York Yankees changing colors. Only with more fans who are more loyal.

If Junior is as smart as he has demonstrated recently, he'd invest some of that revenue into a great CEO for JR Motorsports.

And that is, perhaps, why just joining an existing team, albeit with a hefty compensation or partial ownership deal, would be the better choice. The demands of being an owner-driver can become too big. It's a double responsibility that has proven extremely challenging for Michael Waltrip and Robby Gordon.

Earnhardt needs to concentrate mostly on driving.

Of course, it's not like he's been tearing up the track. The most remarkable thing about his popularity is that it is not – like Tiger Woods' – based on dominating the competition.

Junior never has won a Cup title, hasn't won a race in a year and has taken checkers just twice since 2004. Yet he has the most fans.

The on-track results had to factor into his decision to walk. It's not like DEI was giving him the best car each week to begin with. If they weren't going to meet his business demands either, what was the point?

But for whatever reason, Teresa Earnhardt figured he wouldn't leave his daddy's company. Maybe she underbid him. Maybe she refused to give up control. Maybe she banked on a family discount.

Whatever it was, she guessed wrong. Terribly so. The good news for DEI is it only took the Red Sox 86 years to recover from something so dumb.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I agree with you guys that Theresa is going to be so SCREWED. My quess is that she will go bankrupt faster than you can shake a stick at. AND she wont let JR take the #8 with him. So not only will she not hand over majority control to the man who should have it but she wont let him have his # either. Selfish woman. JR says that JR Motorsports will more than likely bring a team into the nextel cup if they absolutely must. It sounded like a last resort type of deal. I am personally a huge Tony Stewart fan. However my husband is a huge JR fan and I personally would be ecstatic if JR decides to race for Joe Gibbs Racing. Although ultimatly he shouldnt have to race for anyone with out the Earnhardt name. Its so sad.

B

·
0 Posts
I just hope he takes his time and makes a good choice.

DEI just sent out their newsletter to the DEI Insiders and in their latest round of juvenile b.s. behavior, Junior is no longer on the newsletter. Nice huh? Wonder how long it will be before he's not on the website or listed as one of their drivers (a la Jeremy Mayfield at Evernham last summer).

Personally my first choice is JGR as well, because I'm a Stewart fan and Junior, Tony, Denny and JJ would be a dream team. RCR would be my second choice because I think it would be hard for Junior to run there and not have his daddy's shadow hanging over him all the time, though it would be more like home to him because of Richard.

Anywhere else seems like a long shot to me.

I guess Junior will tell us when Junior feels the need to tell us. Until then, I'll have to put up with cheering for the DEI drivers but not DEI. Jeff Hammond said it best when he said DEI has lost another Dale Earnhardt. So sad.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I like Dale Junior--I root for Dale Jr. (among other drivers as well)...think he has a really nice looking race car....he is a huge marketing success.

Anyone would be foolish not to swoop him up if they get the chance. The reason--he is a huge marketing success. However, I'm not convinced he's a top tier driver. I don't believe all he is missing is a top-notch team. I think he really needs to polish his driving skills....a full season in Busch series might do him well.

If he plays it safe he will go with RCR. However, I could see him running his own team...buying Hendrick cars and engines. This is probably not his best move. He does need a terrific organization because he doesn't have all the knowledge of all aspects of the racing team. It's incredibly difficult to find success on your own. Joining RCR is probably what he will end up doing because Jr. isn't stupid and realizes it will be in his best interest to be with an organization.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts