Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a 12 week old lad hank. We ahve tried to begin to train him about hunting but he will only retieve about 2-3 times and then he is done. Any ideas???He is really good about sit stay heel come and swims and is not gun shy but does not like to retieve. His brother is crazy about retrieveing and just life in general Hank is very very laid back. My husband is just getting frustrated with him

Manda

·
Registered
806 Posts
He's a 12wk old baby, honestly 2-3 retrieves is fine at that age. Once his adult teeth are in, you can get more serious about training him "for real" but just keep it fun for right not. Obedience is great to work on now though, again in short sessions. The puppy period goes quickly, enjoy it!!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I agree, he sounds like a pretty normal pup (2-3 retrieves).

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He's 12 weeks old for cripe's sake! Your husband needs to learn patience.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
agree with the above. He is 3 months old! Don't over work him too early, he'll lose interest and won't want to retrieve at all!! Keep everything fun, short and reward with a small treat each time. I'd be more concerned with teaching him sit, drop, stay and his name and housetraining him before worrying about how many times he'll retrieve!!!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
General rule of thumb is that for every month the dog is old they have a 5 minute attention span. Sooo... a 3 month old puppy has a 15 min attention span MAX! and that is if he doesn't get distracted by a good smell or a cool noise or a yummy stick on the ground.

Just ease up on the poor little guy and lower your expectations of what a 3 month old puppy is capable of. You've only had him for 4 weeks for pete's sake lol. Even at an obedience class, after 15-20mins he'll be over it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hunting

I agree that after about 15-20 min. the puppy won't be paying attention. I would lay off of those until he gets a little bit older. Sorry.....The puppy doesn't need to be hunting anyways.;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh and by the way the puppy isn't Lazy it just likes exploring other things.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Oh and by the way the puppy isn't Lazy it just likes exploring other things.
a new puppy may appear 'lazy' to people who have not been around a puppy for a really long time.

The owner should try and think of a 3 month old human baby. How often is it asleep? ALOT... why? It's growing! Growing is tiring!! How much does it interact? Not alot... why should a puppy be any different? LOL.. the puppy has an attention span of a gnat. Plus, like always... a puppy has a mind of it's own and probably wants to sniff and investigate rather than be held and cuddled.

Your lab will want to be held and cuddled when it's 1 yr old and far too big to be held and cuddled LOL ;) Such is life... enjoy your puppy while he's still small. When they are 12 months old and STILL a puppy and huge it's not so much fun!

·
Registered
150 Posts
That is very true! My puppy would only have small bursts of energy, but now it seems as though she has enough energy to last forever!!!!!! Sarah is right! My 1 and 1/2yo Female Yellow Lab (below in my signature and above in my avatar) is like a HUGE lap dog...NO JOKE! :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
That is very true! My puppy would only have small bursts of energy, but now it seems as though she has enough energy to last forever!!!!!! Sarah is right! My 1 and 1/2yo Female Yellow Lab (below in my signature and above in my avatar) is like a HUGE lap dog...NO JOKE! :)
and my 1 and a 1/2 female chocolate lab thinks that the lap is her domain ... and what do we mean she's TOO BIG!!!!!!!! we get the "are you serious?!?!" look if she is denied :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ha-ha! If my Lab Lily, is denied......I get the puppy eyes!!!! When was your dog born by the way, Sarah?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
December 18th 2007.

Oh the big fat Lab puppy eyes... I know those ALL too well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
haha

December 18th 2007.

Oh the big fat Lab puppy eyes... I know those ALL too well.
HA-HA! LOL! Me too! My doggy was born on September the 17th 2007! They aren't very far apart in age! Wanna be friends on this sight? ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
YAY! I have seen you on like all of the boards I have been on! LOL! I went to the Intordunction and looked at a recent post with a bad something on it...I scolded them........How do you report???? Or can you report??? Sorry I am new to this sight!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I don't know. You probably have to advise the administrator. I don't think the report abuse section of the forum is turned on. (I could be wrong though.. I dont come on here all that often these days)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts