Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you try the vinegar fly spray?

I made up a bottle this week. I really like it. It seems to be working well, and it's nice to know it's not toxic!!! I can spray liberally and not worry about it. It also worked on me. I sprayed it on my legs to keep flies from biting when I was cleaning out at the barn.

Let me know if you've tried it and what you think?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I tried the ACV one with a squeeze of dish soap. It seemed to do okay though by the time it dried, it seemed the flies were back. Then I left for 3 days so I don't know how long it lasted. I'm going to try it again next week when I can spend more time to see if it really works and for how long.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Flies GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I'm overrun with them this year. What is this vinegar thing of which you speak? LOL

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Linda posted this a week or so ago. I tried #3

Horse Fly Spray

Here's a couple of homemade recipes I've found...They basically are the same thing... I've not tried it yet, but plan too. I still have a bit of fly spray left in the bottle, but when it's gone, I'm going to try the vinegar/water/soap stuff. If you try it, let me know what you think.

2 parts apple cider vinegar
1 part water
a squirt of dish soap.

6 cap fulls of Skin-so-soft
one cup of White Vinegar
and a tablespoon of ivory liquid soap.
Put in a spray bottle and shake well.

Or, #3
I use 2 parts apple cider vinegar and 1 part water with a squirt of dish soap(keeps it from sweating off) and spray it on as a fly spray. It's cheap and it works as well as much more expensive fly spray.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bad me, I didn't use any of those. I thought it was one part vinegar, one part water and a drop of dish soap. That's what I did, and I added about 3 capfuls of Skin So Soft to it.

I generally spray my horses every day before turning them out, that's why I really like this because I'm not worrying about the toxicity of it.

I noticed that the flies landed, but then left. They didn't stay on the horses.

Not sure how it works for the mosquitos, I'll have to check that some evening. We've not had bad mosquitos this year... yet.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
We have bad everything right now. When I was out there on Thursday I wasn't sure who was being attacked more, me or the horses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts