Just Labradors banner

Last minute tips.....

899 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Labradorable 
1. No walks - keep her in the yard until she has all her shots. If you take her to the vet or a store, keep her in your arms. Parvo is potentially deadly and she can pick it up from surfaces.
2. IMO- neither until your dog is significantly older - like 8-10 months. A puppy that small can be trained just as simply on a flat colllar. A slip collar on a little puppy can cause tracheal damage.
3. Either leashed or loose is fine. When she is let off the leash she will explore - you might as well get that out of the way first.
4. Dog park - after all shots - and only with other vaccinated puppies. There is no value in my opinion in throwing a young puppy in with older strange dogs. Fears can be imprinted during several key development periods in young puppies and a bad experience with a mob of unruly adult dogs can be lasting. I would save the DP for older than 6 months - when she is a little better able to fend for herself. I personally HATE dog parks and prefer to have play dates with dogs who are known entities to me and my dogs. Many people on here have had better experiences with DP - and a lot has to do with the park's logistics and quality of the visitors.

Seriously - pay attention to the vaccination schedule and keep her away from strange dogs and areas where dogs are until she is fully vax. Socialization can be had in puppy class - where all the puppies have proof of vax. Or you can get her with other dogs belonging to friends where you know they are vaccinated. Not something to fool around with

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.