Just Labradors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8,330 Posts
I've been thru this w/ my very first lab, Winnie. There are a couple of yahoo groups (the Godiva site above will direct you to one that is quite pro-surgery). I didn't do surgery, rather just managed it. I have an issue w/ doing major surgery on my oldsters...
Our old guy, Mick, was diagnosed with LP at almost 11 1/2 years. Following my vet's recommendation, we didn't opt for surgery. Instead, we alsp made life style changes (raising the water and food dishes, using only a tracking style harness for walks, etc). Besides the Cholodin, I also added ArthriSoothe (the horse one) and MSM to Mick's breakfast. Actually, he was already getting the ArthriSoothe & MSM before the diagnosis. As the years went on, I added Biotin and Vitamin B Complex to the mix. I carried a spritz bottle of water every place we went, even if it was just a car ride. One of the biggest mistakes we made was to treat Mick like an invalid after he was diagnosed. It took us awhile to learn to let Mick do things he wanted- we just had to stop him from over doing.
Mick was 15 1/2 when we had to have him pts, just a couple of weeks after he made his last therapy visit to school.

Feel free to PM me, too, if you want.

· Registered
8,330 Posts
...Good luck to anyone out there who has received the same diagnosis and please know that LP doesn't have to mean the sudden collapse and end to your beloved dog. Take precautions, do the things that your dog loves to do, and enjoy every day.
How true. These threads are always very emotional for me but I wanted to thank you for coming back and updating us. I'm gladOliver is doing well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.