Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy has it. He just had surgery again this week :( He did fine but he still coughs. I had never heard of this until now so I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced it.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I know three dogs who have had it - the one I know best had surgery and did very well - one opted not to do surgery and it wasn't great - the third wasn't sure what they were doing last I heard

all were goldens or labs - never ralized it til now

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Bessie was diagnosed at age 10, and lived until 15 - we did not do surgery. It became progressively worse for her, but she compensated well and we knew her limits. Howevery, if I had to do it over again I believe I would do the surgery. We were told her swimming days would be over if we opted for the procedure - and since our house is on a river and Bessie lived to swim (year-round), we didn't do it. As she aged she became more of a wader than a swimmer - so I believe surgery would have been OK.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Buddy had it done on one side last Wednesday. He had been doing this coughing thing since last summer. It wasn't diagnosed until about a month ago. I took him to NC to visit a friend over Christmas and when she heard him panting so heavily she told me to go home and have his larynx checked. She lost her 12 year old lab to the very same thing a month or so before my visit so she knew the signs. I couldn't watch him lose his breath and try to hard to clear his throat so I called the surgeon. He told me there will still be moments where he has a problem but they should be few and far between. Luckily he is a very slow eater so that helps.
His biggest problem seems to occur when he sleeps. He must be swallowing his own saliva and it goes down wrong. He had a horrific episode 2 nights ago. I was just about to take him to emergency when he finally calmed down. Poor guy was so scared. The surgeon says the only time I need to worry is if he can't get air and passes out! Yikes, how would I ever get him into my car if he passed out! I had never heard of this before my own experience and I posted my note because I was hoping to hear many had the surgery and did the same thing.
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
larangeal tie-back surgery

Hello Everyone,

I just found this site this evening and my 13 year old girl just underwent the tie-back surgery two weeks ago. It has been such a roller coaster of emotions. She did have a minor bout of pneumonia following surgery but this was a result of the vet tech telling me there was no restriction on her food and water intake. Along with the tie-back she had laser surgery to shorten her soft palate. Apparently that would have helped her breathing issues quite a bit earlier had we only known.

Her breathing is better than it has been for the past 3 years but I have serious concerns with regards to her staying hydrated. I found the water bottles like one puts in a small animal cage and installed them on our wall, however my labs (we have two) appear to be bored with that and keep looking for bowls of water. I spoke with the surgeon and he suggested I place a small amount of water in a bowl and hold it for her to drink multiple times throughout the day. If anyone has any ideas or has been through this I would love to discuss anything you have tried, we can share what we find works and what does not.

Oh I also found these large stainless steel balls you place in their food bowl to slow their eating and prevent gulping in case that helps anyone here. Thanks for any input or support as this is such a difficult time for us.

Julie M

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
welcome Julie

I wonder if Ice cubes in the water in thisheat would also slow the rinking down - I don't know

I'm glad your girl is recovering - it is such a scary thing to see - hang in there

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I went thru it w/ my first Lab several years ago. Winnie was dx'd at ~11 yrs. I opted not to do the surgery and decided to put her down at 13.5 before the summer months. There is a LP list on Yahoo groups that I joined. I found along w/ the good, there were downsides to the surgery. For one, the surgery only corrects the breathing, not the rest of the process which is neurological in nature. Along w/ LP, often comes incontinence and weakness in the rear end since the vagus nerve controls all. At the time, I had read about alot of bouts of pneumonia after tie back surgery, and it was a fairly long rehab. Some dogs had tie back only to die of something else (normally old age cancer) a couple mos later. If I had a younger dog w/ it, maybe I'd do the surgery now but I'd ask myself if the benefit is greater than the risk.

Since it has a familial trend, I put her daughter, Gala, on cholodin supplements for neuro support at ~ age 10. Gala lived to over 14 yrs w/o any issue more than the high pitched bark and a little panting toward the end which was due mostly because she had a large splenic mass. A couple of Gala's littermates had the LP surgery and didn't live as long as either her or her mom-- and it was no picnic according to the owners. Anne

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes, Jack had LP tieback surgery in April. He did experience some coughing (very typical) for a few weeks. He's now fine, healthy, and breathing beautifully. We don't regret having the surgery. We only regret not having it done sooner since we had several very scary episodes with him. Jack's LP is apparently genetic vs acquired since he's a relatively young dog being only about 8 or 9 years old. He's had LP for several years. Right after the surgery we fed him just a little at a time and limited his water intake as well. He had canned food for the first week then we started mixing in his kibble for the next week. By week 3 he was on kibble (moistened with water) exclusively.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.