Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know LB Puppy food has been the topic of discussion quite a few times on this board, but I have a question if anyone knows the benefits/downfalls of LB adult food?
Bailey is on ProPlan & they have a LB adult formula. I know others on this board do Pro Plan, but the Chicken/Rice or Lamb/Rice formulas.
Anyone have more info on the LB adult stuff?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
IMO, while LB Puppy formulations are very worthwhile, LB Adult formulas are marketing gimmicks.

While there have been many scientific canine nutritional studies showing the value of the desirable Calcium to Phosphorus and kcal levels with LBP foods there have been none -- that I'm aware of -- on the effectiveness of any LB Adult formulation.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
IMO, while LB Puppy formulations are very worthwhile, LB Adult formulas are marketing gimmicks.

While there have been many scientific canine nutritional studies showing the value of the desirable Calcium to Phosphorus and kcal levels with LBP foods there have been none -- that I'm aware of -- on the effectiveness of any LB Adult formulation.
Bob, I think it really depends on the brand and what you're specifically looking for in the food. For example, Eukanuba Medium Breed Adult (formally Adult Maintenance) is a 25/16 protein/fat blend, but the Large Breed Adult (now also Labrador Retriever formula) is 23/13. If I was looking for a lower protein/fat blend, I'd pick up the Large Breed Adult or the Labrador Retriever formula.

Another example would be Nutro Natural Choice. I like to keep my dogs' maintenance diet at about 25% or 26% protein (give or take 1 or 2 percentage points). To do that with Nutro Natural Choice, I'd have to get either the Large Breed Adult or the High Energy (the performance formula).

It really just depends on the brand. True, most of the Large Breed Adult formulas out there are gimmicks, but there are a few that are different- that's when it pays to be a label reader.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
There is a lot more information in the Health and Nutrition sections of the forum. And I agree with Bob also, we had Aidan on adult food by 4 months and Emma at 6 months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts