Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we started working on the landscaping alongside the house. We've put it off for almost 3 years waiting until we finally had the sidewalk and patio done.

We started working on the front of the house - and I remembered after we'd started to get some in-progress pictures.

Here's an old photo of the front taken last year.

Here's some work in progress shots from yesterday.

*****UPDATE*****

These were taken this afternoon :D

Now we have to finish cutting out the edge in the front of the sidewalk - like you see along the short side. We'll also continue around the column and across the entire front of the house. Lots of stuff to do - but it's great to finally see it come together. :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Re: Landscaping project begins

It is going to look SOO good! I just love your sidewalk.

I'm landscaping today too. Bought a few new plants to put in, but mostly I'm pulling weeds.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Okay. I finally have to ask. Why does your porch roof stop just short of the right-hand side windows? Always have wondered about that.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts

Looking very nice Mark and Lynn! I love your house, but your walk is very good looking too.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Paddysmom said:
Okay. I finally have to ask. Why does your porch roof stop just short of the right-hand side windows? Always have wondered about that.
Nance, that's a typical feature in Craftsman-style homes. It lets sun onto the two large windows in the den. Eventuaylly, we want to get some flowring vines to grow - just have had some trouble finding something in this zone that will flourish...that the deer won't eat! :D

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

You need to get some clematis and jasmine growing up those posts! What side of the house is that Mark? It looks like it gets some shade during the day, so you might be able to plant some shade tolerant plants like hostas and astilbes, etc. Nothing like having a nice clean canvas to work from! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts

Thay is a great porch, love the swinging chair, and stone...
Look at that garage, what a nice place to be landscaping. ;D

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Thanks for the explanation, Mark. I kind of wondered about the "letting the light in" aspect of the roof.

And yes! Clematis! :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

I wanted to ask that too Nance...I wondered if that was going to be something to let a vine run up. :)

How about Wisteria? If you took those in the morning, looks like it gets some bright sun in the afternoon?

Are you tired yet? I AM! I think I'm going to have to cop a nap pretty soon :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for the ideas!! The area faces north - gets morning sun all year and late sun in the summer. Wisteria was our choice - been trying to get it to grow for almost 3 years. Just not working. We'll try some of the other ideas! :D

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

Wisteria needs full sun. Clematis Montana, durandii and Nellie Moser tolerate lower light. Virginia creeper grows beautifully on the North side of my house. Another vine with beautiful blooms is climbing hydrangea. Hostas do wonderfully in shade, as do anemone, Lady's Mantle, Columbine (beautiful flowers), Astrantia Major (again, beautiful flowers), Bergenia, Lily of the Valley, Cornus (Dogwood), Bleeding Heart, ferns, Heuchera, Iris, Lilies, Honeysuckle, Trillium, etc.

Some of these will have cultivars that will work in your zone, so it is worth checking them out.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

kaisdad said:
You need to get some clematis and jasmine growing up those posts! What side of the house is that Mark? It looks like it gets some shade during the day, so you might be able to plant some shade tolerant plants like hostas and astilbes, etc. Nothing like having a nice clean canvas to work from! :D
We're zone 4 - do you think jasmine will grow? We'll try the clematis. We move everything out away from the house a bit, too, to take advantage of a little more of the sun.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

Actually, I think Jasmine will work for only Zone 6 or higher. You might have luck with a Chocolate Vine. For some reason I thought you were in Zone 6. Clematis Nelly Moser will grow in Zone 4. It has big beautiful flowers on it in the summer. Clematis Jackmanii is good in Zone 3 and higher. It likes sun, so it might be a good one to try at the corner post under the un-clad roof joists. It has big bold purple flowers. Also, there are annual climbers that are really beautiful, like cup-and-saucer vine, purple bell vine and black-eyed susan vine. These are usually sun lovers, but since they are annuals, it might be worth trying them.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Mark, are you sure you're zone 4? I know I am Zone 4 and I thought you were a lot warmer than me.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

I think the deer pretty much leave the Virgina Creeper alone.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts

Hmm Laurie...that map has me in Zone 7, but we were just recently moved up to Zone 6B. BUT, I do have a lot of 7 things in my yard that are working. So maybe this one is actually more accurate.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

JollyMolly said:

Mark, are you sure you're zone 4? I know I am Zone 4 and I thought you were a lot warmer than me.
That map is a general guide only. Within the range of Zones there is tremendous variation. Within a Zone 4, depending upon topography and localized climatic conditions, there could be pockets of Zone 5 or even 6. Conversely there could be pockets as low as 3 or even 2. The best determination of the Zone for where you live is to ask your local nursery.

Also, to a certain degree, one can manipulate the Zone of one's yard through landscaping.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

We're actually located in what shows as Zone 6 but due to the elevation and the water table, we've got to go for things that can take 4, maybe 5 if they are hardy. Thanks for the great info - it gives us lots of ideas. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts