Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Sorry I haven't been around in a while. Things have been really crazy around here lately. I lost my job due to cutbacks so I've been sending out resumes and taking employment tests, then family came in for holidays, then I got pneumonia, it's just been a mess. I do read the forums at least once a week though to try to catch up.

We are in the process of refinancing the house and I'm getting cash back for some upgrades. The main upgrade we're doing is putting in laminate flooring instead of carpets. I have been planning on getting laminates for the last 3 years. I'm thinking about taking out the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and just doing laminate throughout since it's an open floor plan. My father in law seems to think that laminate flooring and big dogs/labs is a bad idea because they drool and spill water and such and it will get between the planks and cause the flooring to go bad. He's saying that the dogs will chip the laminate with their nails and crack it and it would be better to do hardwoods. I have hardwoods in the entry way and they have gashes in the boards from their nails so I don't think that would be any better. Can some of you guys give me some reassurance here and tell my husband that laminates are indeed better please? His dad is a handyman and installs this stuff, but I figure coming from a bunch of lab owners he'd be more inclined to follow my lead on this one. :p

Thanks!

Vicki

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have oak wood floors in the bedrooms here, and it is a no no for the dogs.......yes if they did scratch them up they could be sanded down and refinished but the dogs are off limits in the bedrooms in my home. Their main room is the family room which is all ceramic tile, of course with area rugs, and I find that the best. I would say laminate would be better for you in your case.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have had laminate in my kitchen/family room for 8 years now and it still looks brand new. Cinnamon will be 5 in Nov and Cierra my BR dog is here 2 or 3 times a day and they play bitey face and chase on it all the time. We do have to keep their toe nails clipped short as they have trouble with traction if they are too long and we fear knee and hip injuries. Cinnamon is a messy drinker so we keep a throw rug under her bowl but we have never had a water problem. You do get what you pay for so look for laminate with a long warranty ours was 15 years.
This is right in front of my couch wich is probably the heaviest traffic. It did need mopping at the time the spots are dog dirt from a muddy yard.

This is the kitchen/Cinnamon deciding on dinner after camping

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
My neighbor has Pergo and a lab w/very long nails.

it looks like brand new.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Okay.. i'm not sure where he got that info, but it's wrong.. i have laminate in my kitchen, hallway and bedrooms and it's been a dream with nails.. no wear and tear whatsoever.. I don't know about water.. my dogs are sloppy drinkers and it has been fine.. yes you can't spill buckets of water on the stuff, but the normal dog slopping water hasn't done a think to my laminate.

I had old vinyl in my kitchen and just slapped it right over top.. great!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I don't have laminate in my house but we do install it in the entry foyers/front end of all our stores and they are heavily trafficked - much more so than the average household would encounter. They hold up extremely well.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I've had Pergo in the downstairs since November and love it. The dogs race through the rooms and so far not one scratch. My Mother has it in her kitchen and entrance and had the seams glued to make sure that any water spills would not seep through.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We have laminant through our whole house... we have had some for six years & have ever had ANY problems with it. We have our three girls & we also foster. It does make a difference the product you buy. A friend bought a cheap glue down flooring , the dog puked & no one noticed for a few hours, the finish bubbled. Ours is the Pergo " American Cottage" series & it has the foam backing attached. It was VERY easy to install. It also has a bead of glue at the seams to stop small spills & that from ruining the finish.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
had it for 3 years. It is in front of the door my 3 use every time they go outside. Lots of mud, water, drool, NAILS.....it has been great. I also have two sloppy drinkers who insist on "stirring" the water before they drink. No problems at all. It looks brand new. I use a bottle of vinegar/water and a paper towel for quick clean ups and it's great.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'm definitely getting my laminates. I found out that my father-in-law is a handy man that helps out contractors alot. Come to find out he's only installed ONE laminate floor, so I'm more inclined to believe you guys. (did I mention he doesn't like me either? lol )

Anyway, thanks again! I figure anything has to be better than having a carpet so torn that you can see the slab foundation thru it. ; )

Vicki

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
We also have laminate and love it! Sammi goes in and on multiple times a day, it has held really well and is so easy to clean. I think you'll be really happy with it:)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
We have it in our living room. The dogs go back and forth from the patio, I love it when it's muddy because it's so easy to throw a towel down. I wish I had a mat or something that would wipe their feet, but I'm lazy that way. We even have the really cheap laminate, it's been about 5 years since we put it in.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
i have laminate in my kitchen, dining room, hallway, and master bedroom and i LOVE them. i use the dirt devil broom to clean the dirt up and the swiffer wetjet to clean up all the dog drool and mud. it's great. when it's wet outside, i play with cinder up and down our bowling alley type hallway and her nails have never left a mark.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Laminate is great for a slab foundation. We had it throughout at our old house and while we did have moisture issues, it was mostly from my bostons having accidents in the house. A couple people have recommended gluing the seams in high traffic/water areas (like the kitchen, laundry, etc). I think if I ever had laminate again I would do that. I have hardwoods now and they are holding up as well as the laminate, but were more expensive. The dogs definitely slipped around more on the laminate than they do the hardwood, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts