Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I shouldn’t really complain, Willow doesn’t really bother anything on the tree intentionally.

But ….that tail !! :eek:

That whip can clear off 4 or 5 ornaments in a single thrashing… for some reason she has to squeeze between my coffee table and the tree every time even though there is a wider path at the other end of the couch

Good grief Charlie brown!! :p

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Back when I used to put up a tree, I started the ornaments and lights about 2 feet from the bottom of the tree. It got some strange looks from non-Lab people but anyone with a Lab understood what I was doing.

There will be no tree with Jakey. I'm afraid I'd see it going down the hallway like his blankie.

·
Registered
99 Posts
No tree this year with Drake. Just the thought makes me shutter. I can't keep up with him now. Although, he would be easier to track down if he had a tree in his mouth. Dakota never bothered a thing and he never knocked a thing off of the coffee table or the tree in all his 14 years. It was so odd. When he walked by something he would quit wagging and then continue after he had passed whatever it was. Oh, I miss him so much! :'(

·
Registered
459 Posts
Luckily, Zakk has kept away from the tree (even within tail distance). I will occasionally hear him brush the tree and we get a little jingling ;D.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Don't even get me going on the tree and Caleb (it has not been one of his better days)! **** was pretty good, even with his 25 inch long tail (he was half English Setter). It didn't take long each year for him to remember to drop his tail when he was near the tree and I said "Tail!". Now, if Caleb would just keep his nose, and mouth, out of the tree, we wouldn't have any problems this year. LOL

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
labby said:
There will be no tree with Jakey. I'm afraid I'd see it going down the hallway like his blankie.
LMBO - that just cracked me up! We have a small tree on top of an end table this year because with two huge crates in this place, there just isn't room for one on the floor. Also, I have no idea what these boys would do, so we'll just save it for a bigger place. ;)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I braved the tree!! I can't not have a christmas tree, just can't. :-\

He's great with it so far (it's in a corner so I think that helps ;)), but the garland was a no-no. That I can live without. :D

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
labby said:
Back when I used to put up a tree, I started the ornaments and lights about 2 feet from the bottom of the tree.
This is a good idea... Bear still steals things off the tree so he can initiate some play time.

G

·
Guinness doesn't knock ornaments off with his tail...but he does TAKE them off with his mouth!!! :p We have the half-decorated tree also. It looks ridiculous, but it's better than saying "drop it" a zillion times a day! ;)

G

·
Our tree is in the family room and is off limits to my two. No way, Jose, are those two ever gonna see it. Last Christmas I only had Merlot, and he knocked it down and beheaded two teddy bears in less than 5 minutes!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the xmas tree up, Sammy is a little older hes 4.5yrs but when he was a baby he used to take anything he could reach off with his mouth and bat the ornaments around with his paws! It was kind of funny looking back but I was pissed back then! I do start everything about 1 foot from the bottom tho just in case, I dont want to entice him too much!
This year he seems to be interested in trying to unwrap the xmas presents under the tree! He sniffs then and paws at them!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
That's why I love baby gates. Our tree is in the living room. Off limits to Duke, but he sure does look throught that gate...turns his head around and sighs. No way Jose...you are not going in there.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oakley is doing pretty well with my tree. The tail hasn't hit it yet.
But at my mothers, she has already knocked off a few balls and broken one.
THe coffee table isn't safe from the tail either. She can clear it with one swipe.
Mum and Dad had a lab for 15 years so we know what it is like.
Cinder never put any ornaments in her mouth or bothered the gifts. So far we have the same going for Oakley.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bailey's first Christmas, she was a tiny baby. We had a tree.
Last year my stepfather died, and we didn't have time to put up a tree. She was one.
This year, she's two and we adopted a one-year-old.
We braved it. They haven't messed with it at all. It's in the corner and an occasional tail tip will hit it, but that's it.
I did not put anything that resembled a ball on it, and I'm sure that was smart considering Barney goes after anything that looks like one.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
We are tree free here too. We've got too much snow outside, the pups can barely find a place to potty - they'd be just lifting the leg on the tree. :p

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
labby said:
Back when I used to put up a tree, I started the ornaments and lights about 2 feet from the bottom of the tree. It got some strange looks from non-Lab people but anyone with a Lab understood what I was doing.
If we feel lucky maybe we'll decorate the bottom of the tree Christmas eve.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
We still have to buy our tree. We usually buy it on December 23 and put it up on December 24. Jenica is pretty good with the tree, there is usually one ornament that keeps falling down (through tail or nose), but we only decorate with straw ornaments to keep it safe for her. We will have to see what her little brother will think of Christmas trees.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the christmas tree blocked of pretty well with furniture. The problem is him wacking me in the ornamnets with his tail. DEADLY AND ITS AT THE PERFECT HIEGHT!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Cinder is the only dog that's allowed in the foyer, living room and dining room. They are baby gated off from the pugs and she jumps the gate easily. She doesn't bother the tree, but I only put ornaments that won't break on the bottom branches so if they come off with a tail wag it doesn't matter. The kitty Diego has been great, only batting at the bottom ornaments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts