Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered Users
Joined
·
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This must be the luckiest dog in Australia. :eek:

HE'S never had a nose for trouble before but black labrador Bronson sure knows how to turn heads with his retrieving tricks.

The champion obedience dog stunned his Victorian owners when he recently returned to them to proudly show off his latest find.
Locked firmly in his jaws and coiled around his snout was a long, live snake, believed to be a deadly copperhead.


Full story:

http://www.news.com.au/national/lab...ome-deadly-snake/story-e6frfkvr-1225820661524
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
Copperheads aren't very deadly :) We have tons of them around, if your dog has to get bit by a poisonous snake, a copperhead bite is the LEAST lethal because they control the venom they release (i.e., they know what is prey and what isn't and generally won't use venom on non-prey because it takes almost a week for them to rebuild the venom in the sacs... they are a smart snake, most dog/animals that get bit (and humans too) get dry bit by them.)

And, actually, that doesn't even look like a copper head, they have a pink/mauve color and definite pattern.


This snake could be a cotton mouth, but I can't see it's head so its hard to determine if it's even a poisonous snake at all.

Had this dog been carrying in a puff adder or black mambo I might really have been impressed :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
Copperheads aren't very deadly :) We have tons of them around, if your dog has to get bit by a poisonous snake, a copperhead bite is the LEAST lethal because they control the venom they release (i.e., they know what is prey and what isn't and generally won't use venom on non-prey because it takes almost a week for them to rebuild the venom in the sacs... they are a smart snake, most dog/animals that get bit (and humans too) get dry bit by them.)

And, actually, that doesn't even look like a copper head, they have a pink/mauve color and definite pattern.


This snake could be a cotton mouth, but I can't see it's head so its hard to determine if it's even a poisonous snake at all.

Had this dog been carrying in a puff adder or black mambo I might really have been impressed :p
That was very interesting! Thanks for that science lesson. :)

But Copperhead or not, I would FREAK if that happened to one of my dogs!!!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
I'm just glad the dog was okay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,052 Posts
That's in Australia, Linda. I think their copperheads are different than ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
Okay! Which Copperhead is being talked about here? I know the story is about an Australian Copperhead. What was being described with the controlled venom realease and dry bites. I grew up in PA and Copperheads were not our friends. Copperheads and Rattlers were both treated as deadly snake bites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,041 Posts
I'm glad he is ok. I don't want Jazzy bringing me ANY kind of snake!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Copperheads certainly are deadly.

I can not believe the owners took the photo:eek: I would be getting that thing off my dog and rushing to the vet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,176 Posts
Wow, scary! I'm glad he's okay too.

I googled Australian Copperhead and that definitely looks like the snake in the pictures I found. They are a "highly dangerous" snake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,258 Posts
Oh, I missed that. (Aussie Copperhead)

Anyway, Hershey's Dad, the PA Copperhead is similiar to the SC copperhead. Better your dog get bit by that.. than the rattler. Rattlers are extremely deadly to dogs... the anti-venom is $2500.00 a vial (here in my area of Charleston) and it takes 2 vials for a dog the size of a Jack Russell... and generally outcome it not good.

Yeah, my friend is a vet here, I learn all kinds of stuff and hear all kinds of stories :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,307 Posts
Oh, I missed that. (Aussie Copperhead)

Anyway, Hershey's Dad, the PA Copperhead is similiar to the SC copperhead. Better your dog get bit by that.. than the rattler. Rattlers are extremely deadly to dogs... the anti-venom is $2500.00 a vial (here in my area of Charleston) and it takes 2 vials for a dog the size of a Jack Russell... and generally outcome it not good.

Yeah, my friend is a vet here, I learn all kinds of stuff and hear all kinds of stories :)
Thanks! Thought that I might be losing my mind. Well, maybe I am.

We don't worry about posionius snakes here. MN, Twin Cities region. They do get some rattler population in southern MN, I think the winter is too severe for them here. Not sure that I have ever heard of any other poisionous snakes here. Which is fine with me.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top