Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Labrador Retriever Owners and Breeders,

My name is Ruth Marcec, and I am an undergraduate Honors student attending Florida State University in the field of Biology (Pre-Veterinary). I am conducting my Honors Thesis research on the temperament and health of various breeds and mixed breeds of dogs. My major professor is Dr. Barbara Licht. This post was approved by a moderator of this forum.

One of the breeds included in my study is Labradors. This post is requesting owners of Labradors to fill out a short questionnaire on your dog. All information provided will be held strictly confidential, to the extent allowed by law. Findings from this study will be posted to this forum after the data are completely analyzed (February, 2008). So that no one spends too much time on the questionnaire, I ask that you complete the questionnaire on ONLY ONE of your Labradors. If you have more than one Labrador, write each dog's name on a piece of paper, fold up the paper, and blindly (randomly) pick one. This way, I can get an unbiased sampling of Labs.

The study consists of two short questionnaires. The first asks you to rate the temperament of your dog on 23 temperament items. It takes between 10 and 20 minutes. The second questionnaire asks about your dog’s health history. It takes between 5 and 15 minutes. This second survey is optional, but your input would be extremely helpful to the study. I strongly encourage you to complete the second survey, but if time is an issue, I understand. If you are interested in participating, please reply to the email address below. You will receive the questionnaire via e-mail within 2-7 days of your request. The questionnaire will come from the e-mail address:

[email protected]

In order to make scientifically accurate conclusions about the temperament and health of various breeds, it is important that owners answer each question as truthfully and accurately as possible. The goal of this study is NOT to show that any one breed or mix of breeds is better or worse than any other. Your honesty and carefulness in answering these questions is, therefore, GREATLY appreciated.

Feel free to email me at the above address, or contact me or Dr. Barbara Licht ([email protected]) at 850-644-6272, or you may contact the Chair of the Florida State Institutional Review Board at 850-644-8633 if you have any questions or comments. I thank you for your consideration and time. It is greatly appreciated.

--Ruth Marcec

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to you and the others who have responded. I still need many more labs if anyone is interested! Feel free to email me, call Dr. Licht or the IRB if you have any questions at all. I will also be checking the forum periodically for questions.

Ruth

C

·
0 Posts
Sounds interesting. ;D Sure, I'll participate.
Have sent an email to your address above.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'll participate.

Do we snail mail the ?naire back to you, e-mail?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Bob Pr. said:
I'm willing to participate BUT

FOR WHAT POSSIBLE VALID REASON MUST I LIST MY INCOMING AND OUTGOING E-MAIL SERVERS TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE?
I agree. I also question this statement since we all know this is an unmoderated forum.

This post was approved by a moderator of this forum.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I sent her an e-mail yesterday saying I would participate and to send me some more info. This morning my e-mail was inundated with spam. Don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I will NOT participate.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I forgot to say that she has not responded to my e-mail and it has been more than 24 hours. :mad: Guess I was taken. :-[

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I called and spoke to the Florida State Institutional Review Board at 850-644-8633. The study is listed under Ms. Marcec's name and is a legitimate study on canine temperment.

About three minutes of Googling turned up this info:

1. Dr. Barbara Licht is the Director of Undergraduate studies at FSU
2. [email protected] is a legitimate email domain
3. Dr. Licht is in the Psychology department and is, in part, studying Canine Epilepsy
4. Ruth Marcec is (or at least was) the name of an undergrad student at FSU
5. Based on the same post on another board, it looks like she is looking at Labs, doodles, and poodles

Moderator, I assume she means owner. Perhaps she can shed some light on this.
I don't know about asking about email servers.

I will participate. I was once an undergrad doing independent research, too. :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
nellies mom said:
I forgot to say that she has not responded to my e-mail and it has been more than 24 hours. :mad: Guess I was taken. :-[
I'm not normally in the habit of defending a complete stranger, but the post says that it will take 2-7 days. She is a KID, not a professional researcher.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I looked up Barbara Light from the FSU website and sent her the posting and asked for verification. I'll let you all know what response I get.

This is something I would definately like to support if it is legitimate - which appears to be.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
nellies mom said:
I'm not normally in the habit of defending a complete stranger, but the post says that it will take 2-7 days. She is a KID, not a professional researcher.
She responded rather quickly when I sent her an email yesterday. She asked what breed of dog I have.
(I guess she didn't know that I was a J/L member, since she's researching several breeds and mixed breeds)

C

·
0 Posts
I sent my email reply last night and received the questionaire back shortly afterwards. Completed and sent it in this morning.
No questions about email servers.
No more spam than usual today.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Here is the response I got back Dr. Barbara Light.

Dear Sharon,
Yes. Ruth's request is completely legitimate. Ruth Marcec is a pre-veterinary student working on her honors thesis under my direct supervision. She is an excellent student and a hard worker. Her study was approved by her thesis committee, consisting of myself and two members of Florida State University's Biology faculty. I'm hoping that she gets a lot of cooperation from owners and breeders. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions that may come up. Also, please feel free to post my reply if you think others would be interested.

My Best,
Barbara

1 - 20 of 38 Posts