Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I posted this in the rescue forums but I dont see alot of people viewing the rescue forums :) So I thought Id give it a go here :)

I live in Mn and as far as I know we do not have a lab rescue program here... Since we are a state of hunting, fishing, etc there is an abundance of labs here I looked at the humane society website and most of the dogs they had there waiting for adoption are labs My mission is to start a non profit lab rescue program here in MN. however I am unsure of how to go about it.. If anyone has any tips or ideas that would be helpfull I would appreciate and ideas, opinions, or help on this matter... lets all work togehter and SAVE THE LABS!!!!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Actually, there is one in MN.

Labrador Retriever Club of the Twin Cities
www.lrctc.com/
Ms. Ruth Upchurch
[email protected]

and there are a few in Wisconsin:
Labrador Education and Rescue Network
www.labadoption.org/
southern, WI
847-289-7387

Green Bay & NE WI
Green Bay, WI
920-468-7963

Great Lakes Lab Rescue, Inc.
www.GreatLakesLabRescue.org
southern Wisconsin
(219) 365-9476

and one in Iowa:
Quad Cities Lab Rescue
www.qclabrescue.org
Wendy Clarke
Davenport, IA
563 343 7319
[email protected]

Here is a link regarding starting your own rescue: http://thelabradorclub.com/rescue/start.html

But I will tell you, if your picture is of your current dog, I would really recommend waiting until your dog is older and really reliable training-wise. It's easier to foster dogs with a well trained one in the house.

But, you should know that rescue is not for everyone. It's hard, often thankless work. You have to really do a good job of screening adopters, vetting animals, recruiting foster homes, financial needs, all of it. You need to find vets who will work with you and hopefully cut a deal, get listed with Petfinder, establish a relationship with other rescues in Minnesota, and you need to build a relationship with local shelters to hopefully get them to waive pull fees. It's hard. You should really go and volunteer with your local animal shelter before you decide to jump feet first into starting your own rescue.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Dani should be around to give you some pointers, she has a Lab rescue in Michigan.

I know there is a Labrador club somewhere in Minneapolis, not sure how well it is going as I never joined.

There is a Lab Fest at the Prior Lake dog park tomorrow around 1 p.m. Just a bunch of Lab people getting together to let their Labs blow off some steam from this long winter. If you are interested let me know and I can send you the links.

BTW I live just North of Minneapolis

Edit - Whoops, Dani beat me to the post! Labrador Retriever club of the Twin Cities is the one I was talking about.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you dani.. You have been helpfull.. That is a pic of my puppy, only now she is 4 years old :) I did not know there was a lab rescue in MN.. thats good to know.. I understand there is a lot of work involved in starting something like this. My husband and I do volunteer for local rescue programs.. We also take in strays and foster dogs from local shelters :) But as an avid lab lover I want to do more for my yellow, brown, and black friends :) I praise you on the work you do for these guys :) Thanks again for your help ...

Oh and I also did not know there was a lab fest! that is awesome! I would love to go! We live just north of the twin cities also but prior lake isnt too far :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What does this mean under your avatar? BREEEEEEEEEEED!!!!

I think Dani gave really good advice.

Check with your local government also some require kennel licenses etc. Some rescues have received their non profit status easily some have waited many many months. Consult an atty early.

Good luck.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you deneen.. My husband works at a law firm so hopefully we have a head start! Oh and BRRREEED! is what we say when she leaves our sight... Its funny because all of our friends will literally yell BRRREEEEEEEDD!! when they greet her. She wont always respond when we just say her name, but when she hears it being yelled she comes immediatly :) LOL she is a goofy dog.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Probably a 45 minute drive for me, I live in Albertville,, so just jump on 94 to 169 then a few back roads to the park, so not to bad. I know there are a couple of people coming from Canada, now that is a loooong drive.

Here is a link to the thread about the Lab Fest, the thread will have directions. Or you can go to mapquest.com and get driving directions to Cleary Lake.

http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/showthread.php?t=96902

Here is a link to tha park, make sure you drive to the Dog Park area, as you can not get there from the main park

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/parks/maps/cleary_summer.pdf

I will be there with these 2

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
but when she hears it being yelled she comes immediatly
LOL My Autumn is like that...I have to practically lose my mind before she'll move, darn stubborn hound doggie dog. Gunny and Cuj (the Mastiff) come on the first "Gunny, Cuj Come"..not Autumn..when she feeeeeeelllllsssss like it...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
That's Gunny Hunter!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG that pic is too cute.. Big ol mastif and a little lab pup :) cuuuuuuttteee!!

Thanks Hunter.. Im right by Blaine so prob about a 40 minute drive too :) Dont know that Id drive from Canada but Ill go from here for sure... Maybe Ill see you there :) your dogs are very pretty :) That must have been during one of those huge snow storms we had back in march LOL ... Breed loves the snow too... Ill be there with her (pic below) and possibly my mammas black lab Max ... Thanks again :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hunter that's Gunny lol.

He'll be 2 in July..Gunny isn't tall though it only abut 26 inches to the shoulder...Cuj however is very tall he's 36 inches

1 - 12 of 12 Posts