Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my friend and I were talking about what Abbey could possibly be mixed with.

When I got her from the shelter, they knew for sure that she was part Lab, so I'm guessing maybe they had the mother, too? But on the adoption sheet they said she was a "shepherd mix," but I don't see that at all.

I was looking up some pictures and she looks EXACTLY like this dog, except she's yellow : http://www.dailypuppy.com/dogs/khali-the-terrierlab-mix_2007-02-14

My friend also said she could be part Rhodesian Ridgeback because her hackles on her back to go up, but I don't really see that.

So my question is.. if she is possibly a Lab/Terrier mix.. which type of terrier do you guys think it would be?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Cute new siggy pic.

It's kinda tough to tell from looking at this pic, but I used to think that Abbey was a Lab/Pit mix based on your previous sig pic. If you could add a couple of pictures to your thread, that your would help.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hmmmm...When I first saw her pictures she reminded me of my friends Rhodie/Lab mix Ruby. But its kinda hard to tell she sure cause im not sure of her height. To me she looks shorter. I don't really see a whole lot of pit in her but some sort of terrier is there.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Well, I STRONGLY beg to differ that it's "very hard to adopt dogs and there aren't many to adopt" in T.O. *Snort*!! :no:

But anyhoo... I volunteer with the shelter, and lots of dogs that we don't know their breed make up 90% of the time end up listed as shepherd crosses, lab crosses or BC crosses, just cause they're so common. And that's a guess, realistically there are no breed experts at the SPCA. ;)

I think you could very possibly drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out what's in there, and breed DNA tests suck because the parents have to be purebred (and on the list of breeds) for it to work, and that's not the case with most mix breeds. To be honest with you, if I had a dog who was an obvious mix of undetermined breed-age, I'd make up a name and call her that, and leave it at that. OR, use another animal breed and swear up ad down she's that when people ask. Something like, "Maine Coon" or "Arabian". :laugh:

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have always thought from her pics and in person, that Abbey is a lab/pit bull terrier cross. So to answer your question, lab/terrier she could be.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay guys, here are a few other pics of Abbey that might help figure out what she is.. She'll be 2 in April so she's pretty much close to full grown @ 45lbs and she is definitely NOT as tall as a Rhodesian.

Crazy ears as a puppy

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'd say there's a Pit bull in there somewhere. The head shape and shape of the ears scream it to me.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I think she is more than a straight Lab to Pit Bull cross. There is definately some type of Bully breed in there - you can see it in the face. But her body shape doesn't really resemble that of a Lab or a Bully type though...it is more hound like.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Trickster said:
I think she is more than a straight Lab to Pit Bull cross. There is definately some type of Bully breed in there - you can see it in the face. But her body shape doesn't really resemble that of a Lab or a Bully type though...it is more hound like.
ah, but there are different strains of pitbulls.. some are more square and bully style, others leaner and svelte like Abby:

I'd say my best guess for abby would be lab x staffy or pitbull.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kaytris said:
Trickster said:
ah, but there are different strains of pitbulls.. some are more square and bully style, others leaner and svelte like Abby:

I'd say my best guess for abby would be lab x staffy or pitbull.
Hmm I looked up some pictures of Lab x Pit Bull and Lab x Staffy and she kind of looks like some of both of the mixes..! :laugh:

It will always be a mystery to me, but I love my baby girl and that's all that matters! :D

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
In my opinion there is no doubt. She is a purebred Abbey. Done!

And if you love her and she loves you which I am sure you do, what difference does it make anyway?

Enjoy each other! That is all that is important.

I have had the opportunity to share the lives of purebreds and Heinz 57 breeds. They were all great dogs. And the best part of each was that they were mine.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I think she's pure beauty! :D

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Baloo317 said:
I think you could very possibly drive yourself crazy with trying to figure out what's in there, and breed DNA tests suck because the parents have to be purebred (and on the list of breeds) for it to work, and that's not the case with most mix breeds. To be honest with you, if I had a dog who was an obvious mix of undetermined breed-age, I'd make up a name and call her that, and leave it at that. OR, use another animal breed and swear up ad down she's that when people ask. Something like, "Maine Coon" or "Arabian". :laugh:
I agree that she is probably some sort of lab/terrier mix, and extremely cute. I have a friend that has a dog that looks like a mix of Australian Shepard, Newfie and Lab (but she isn't sure at all). When people ask what kind of dog it is, she always says that she is a very rare Aussie Newfador. Some people know she is joking, but some people say, "That's what I thought . . . she is gorgeous." She has even had people ask if she is going to breed her . . . :crazy:

You could take all of the breeds and make a new breed for Abby. A Pitshep Staffador perhaps . . . ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts