Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comes from a post on OD. The lab is in the East Bay - Oakland area.
I'm not sure I'd put a 10 yr old through surgery - I'd probably try with a brace and CM.

If surgery is necessary and funding is the issue, I'm pretty sure the dog would qualify under OSLF guidelines.
If anyone can help please contact me at: [email protected] or send me a PM and I will provide Jenny's contact info.

N.B. Updated for location.

Dear Paola,

I was forwarded your contact information by my friends Jill McIntyre and Patty Kline as someone who might know of a person who helps rescue labs, particularly those with special needs.

I am overseas with my family and am faced with the possiblity of needing to put my 10 year old lab down due to a CCL rupture. I am not in a position to return to the states and our living situation overseas would be determental to a healing dog. The foster family that she is staying with is not able to accomodate the increased level of care due to two small children. I have exhausted my and my partner's circle of friends, family and rescue organizations who might be able to help with our situation.

I would rather save the dog and have her adopted out to someone who could help her heal over the next 6-12 months. I would attempt the surgery if I was going to be with her for the post-surgery/rehab, but I cannot and I am unwilling to have her passed from place to place.
Our family is struggling with this decision quite a bit because we are overseas and because we do not have the financial resources for the surgery and because we are not convinced that one should put this upon a 10 year old dog.

All that said, if you, in fact, have a contact or resource whom you would be willing to forward my email to, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Jenny Hale

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I'd foster her in a second but I'm on the other side of the country :-\
I hope you find some California folks willing to help out... I'll try and keep it bumped for the weekday peeps.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for offering. I can make transportation arrangements, if you're really willing to foster. ;)

Bumping back up - maybe someone in the area can help.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh, gosh--just saw this. Because of our travel situations (we will be doing a lot of traveling in the next year), I can't take this poor girl now. Did they try Golden Gate Lab Rescue?

I will ask at the dog park.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
They are going to pay for her surgery? or not?

She seems to contradict herself there in her email.... Yes Paula...we can help if they will pay for the surgery.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She actually is scheduled for surgery. So I guess they will.
If not, she probably would qualify for assistance through OSLF. I am going to PM you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts