Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently studded my male Lab and there is a 8 week old puppy from the litter I am interested in. Well it has been over at the mother's owners house. The owner has a pool and I had told her to not let the puppies alone around their swimming pool. Well the other night she said that the puppy fell in the cold pool when they were alone and she finally heard the mother barking at the backdoor so she went out and pulled the puppy out. She said the traumatized screaming puppy ran over to mother and started nursing frantically. She said the puppy has acted normally since then, but obviously she has know idea how it would be around water.

Both parents love water, but I can't imagine anything being more traumatic for a puppy then almost drowning. Do you think this will ruin the puppy for water forever? Is there anyway I can tell?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OMG what the hell is wrong with that woman leaving a puppy outside, unsupervised? Around an open pool?! What a stupid ass!!!! :mad:

That being said, in my own experience, my Tucker was forced into the river as a puppy (by my husbands stupid friend). He was terrified of the water for the 1st year of his life. He finally tried it again and was/is fine with it.

I hope there was no real damage for your pup.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Oh don't get me started...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me it bothered me a lot too, which is why I made sure to tell her not leave them outside alone around the pool. Also why I have a seperate fenced off section of my yard.

Does anyone have an answer to my question?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
What a stupid woman. I don't let Ernie unsupervised around the pool.

As to can if it could ruin it for water forever I guess only time will tell. I couldn't beleive it when Ernie owners told me they threw him into water at 9 weeks so he would learn to swim.
That boy became water obsessed since so in a way they did him a favour as swimming is the only thing good for his bad joints.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you Bob and Kassabella for the information. On a good note he seems to be healthy and happy.

As to "not vetting", they have been to vet, I am not sure why that was said.
As to "studding", I like my dog a lot so I wanted one of his pups, and the female looked good
As to "leaving them unsupervised" I told her not to leave them alone.

In fairness to the women she did a really good job with them except for this intance. She built a box for them and has had them in her bedroom since they were born.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
As to "not vetting", they have been to vet, I am not sure why that was said
Are you aware of the several genetic defects that are carried in a Lab's genes? There are test to assure the defects will not be passed on thorugh random breeding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
both parents had their hips checked and certified, prior to breeding. I am not sure what other diseases you are referring, but they both went to vet prior to breeding for a full inspection.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Do they carry PRA which can cause blindness? How about elbow dysplasia, have their elbows certified? Heart clearances to not pass on murmurs and TVD? Annual cerf exam? Exercise induced collapse?

Did your dog's sire or dam have allergies, seizures? Do you even know?

Will the lady take back any puppies that people cannot keep for whatever reason? Will you? Or will they end up in shelters? Everytime you see a lab in the shelter, you'll think about these puppies you created...Keeping puppies in one's bedroom does not a reputable breeder make.

Does your dog have titles? Otherwise 'liking your dog' means everyone would breed theirs.

A veterinarian can tell you if a dog is healthy enough to breed, not whether they should be or not. There's a difference too between purebred and well bred. Not all purebreds should be bred.

Not liking water is the absolute LEAST of your worries.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Wow. Been quite a while since we've had a rube like this. And although it's tempting to play, I'm out......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes the lady or I will take the puppies if they cannot be kept. there were 7 puppies and all were sold to people we know so that we can see how they are raised. Their eyes and elbows were checked, I told you the Vet checked them. And yes she knows a lot about Labs considering that she owns two.

Anything else?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
hahaha

peace out. Best of luck with your puppies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, they are extremely healthy which is not surprising considering that parents are as well!

Father 5 years old 95 pounds without an ounce of fat

Mother 3 years old 65 pounds

zero health probelms. There is a reason the litter was almost sold before they were even born, by people who knew the parents

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Good luck with the pup. :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
What are their registered names? I'd like to check the pedigrees.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for those that cared to give benefical insight (Jzgrlduff, Kassabell and Bob) to help the puppy that fell in the water.

For those who ridiculed an owner for caring about their lab puppy enough seeking advice to fix something they had no control over and tried to prevent, it is pretty sad. I guess belittling a person in a internet forum makes you feel credible. My lab is fine, every vet is amazed by him and can't believe he is a day over 2 years old. He has had interest by breeders for studding, I just didn't want a professional breeder. Personal choice he is not for making money or show, just a pet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts