Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I laugh every time I hear some weird new mix that someone thinks Abbey is. The humane society I got her from said German Shepard mix, but clearly, that's not the case!

I think Abbey is definitely part Lab, maybe part Pit bull. She came from a shelter in Detroit, probably an "oops" litter or BYB, so I wouldn't be surprised if she was part Pit. Not that I care all that much.. I just think it would be nice to know, to kind of help explain her personality and quirks.

Anyways, I started working at a new job and one of the girls saw a picture of Abbey and swears that she is Lab/Husky. I don't really see it, but I found these two pics of Lab/Husky mixes that look similar to Abbey, a little bit.

Abbey is just over 2 years old and tipping the scales around 44 lbs.

What do you guys think? Just curious, although I know I've asked before! ;)

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
If she was part Husky, wouldn't she have the long coat? :confused:

What are the orange bands on her legs for?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If she was part Husky, wouldn't she have the long coat? :confused:

What are the orange bands on her legs for?
I don't know.. I told my coworker that her coat is way too short to be Husky or Lab. She doesn't have 2 different coats, but she's got the shedding thing down, for sure!

That's not her.. haha. ;) Just a random pic of a "Lab/Husky"

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Justine, imo, she's definitely, without a doubt got pit in her. Like you said, not a bad thing - I've known many brilliant pits in my life, and my cousin currently has two that are sweethearts.

I know you say it doesn't bother you, but I have to wonder based on the frequency of the mixed breed posts - if it just doesn't a little bit - would it be so horrible if you knew 100% without a doubt she was half pit? Does it make her any less the love of your life? or change how you view her? I know it wouldn't change how I view her, she's a sweet, sweet girl full of life and joy. (and I didn't say that to be mean, it's just what I think from my side of the post world)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I don't see anything about her at all that says Husky. I think she is Lab/Pit and she is a very pretty girl!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i see shepherd mix. but who cares...if it bothers you; get one of those dna test thingies done. you love her and that is all that matters!!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I see pittie/am-staff + lab, but I am not the best judge of mixes. She's beautiful & sweet, that's all that matters. I know quite a few wonderful pits ho have totally turned my previous bias around.

As for the shelter thing, I find they almost always try to avoid calling a dog a pit/staff mix if they can get around it. It seems to be the kiss of death, around here, anyway. Only if the dog looks blatantly pittie, do they say it. Same with rotties. I think once you change the ignorance, and place the blame squarely were it belongs...on bad owners, not the entire breed, you will see the stigma lifted.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
I've alway thought Abbey was very pretty and I always thought that she was a lab / pit mix. Although the fact that she's only 44 lbs indicates that is not quite right. Maybe a 3rd (or 4th or 5th...) breed in there that is a smaller breed. Maybe she's mixed with a smaller terrier, but not a pit? Maybe not even lab? It's really hard to tell.

But she's definitely beautiful. :)

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The ears and eyes, and the tiny wrinkle between her eyes are the only things I see that aren't lab-ish... maybe some pit.

I got a second dog in May, a rescue that was supposedly boxer/golden, but I believe she's at least half pit bull. I think the rescue said that because "pit" scares people away. We just tell people she's a "sport hyena" because that's what she looks like! I'll post a picture later.

I didn't realize how distinctively pitbull she was till I got her home, and people commented. I researched the breed, and see that it isn't so bad as all that... all this to say, just enjoy your dog as she is!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'd say lab/pit, also. But who knows...get the DNA done and maybe we'll all be surprised and the main breed will be shih tzu! (Now THAT was funny, wasn't it Paula?!!)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Lab/Huskey and 44 lbs? I doubt it.

Why agonize over it. She's a great dog and you love her. I think she is a purebred Abbey.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
My granddog is definitely lab-husky mix. He has grown since the picture was taken, but still looks the same and has the bright blue eyes.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Her head/face is shaped a lot like my friend's staffordshire bull terrier. The rest of her looks totally like a lab to me :p

I love her eyes. Looks like she is wearing eyeliner!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't think Justine is bothered by it, or agonized by it, she's just curious. I know I would be if I had a mixed breed - I'd be dying to know for sure what she was! As she said :
I just think it would be nice to know, to kind of help explain her personality and quirks.
Anyway, get the DNA test done! OK, so it's not proven accurate, but I would still do it for $80. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
it will probably come back saying she's a Chihuahua X Mastiff
My friend has a chocolate lab mix. Charlie is HUGE! Probably twice as tall as Tucker and Frankie. She had the test done and it came back Lab, Border Collie and Yorkie. I swear to God. LOL :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts