Just Labradors banner

Lab hotspots from swimming

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  traceyfd 
#1 ·
My 4 year old lab only gets hotspots when he swims. No swimming and he is fine but that is a bummer for a lab. This happens in ANY body of water and the vet seems to think it is due to a combination of the bacteria in the water and humidity getting caught between fur and skin. He has been tested for allergies and does not have any and he is on a high quality food. The latest thing we are trying is Dr. Maggie's skin and coat supplement that goes with his food. I have also been reading about how a lab has a double coat that if functioning properly, should wick away moisture from the skin. Summer is coming soon so we are hopeful but I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and any success with supplements?

PS...I am not looking for treatment of hotspots, we have that down pat lol

#2 ·
I know this is an old thread but my lab has a thick coat and I swim h8m a lot due to elbow dysphasia.in an Aussie summer the humidity is bad on the coast and he will get hot spots. I make sure I dry him as much as I can or he will stay damp overnight. Blow dry along his back if I have to. I feel he gets one, I clip the hair on the spot and use a foot tinea spray or even a powder. He gets a fungal infection and it doesn’t turn bacterial because I swim h8m in salt water. I then use Potties green ointment to encourage the hairto grow back. I used to use that on my horses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.