Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LG is still in the hospital. She went in on May 11 and this is the longest hospital stay she has ever had. She is eating much better than she had been, but has very little strength and energy. She sleeps a lot. The doctors finally concluded the problem is a heart valve. She had a heart valve repaired about 20 years ago and the repair has slowly come apart. The valve has become constricted and the flaps don't close completely so the blood backs up into the rest of the heart. This has created a lot other symptoms.

She was transferred to a heart hospital last Wednesday and is being evaluated for surgery. She has undergone a lot of tests the last four days and we hope the doctors will soon a have a course of action laid out. Two options mentioned so far are: a balloon procedure to enlarge the throat of the valve and clean the flaps of the valve so they close better. The idea is that it is not as invasive as open heart surgery, would increase the blood flow thus relieving pressure on her circulatory system. The other option talked about is open heart surgery to repair or replace the valve. The doctors do not think robotic surgery is possible due to the type of repair made the first time. Tests so far appear to indicate the heart valve is the root cause of everything else and the other organs appear to be working very hard but are OK for the time being and that making the valve work better will make the other problems go away. Hopefully a decision by Wednesday.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Poor LG. :( I hope they figure out a course of action soon. The waiting must be hard on all of you.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Prayers and good thoughts for LG and your family. Hope all goes well and LG has a speedy recovery.

·
0 Posts
I hope everything works out for her. Keeping her in our thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Good thoughts for your family...... I hope they get their plan of action figured out soon !! keep us posted.

Melissa

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Thanks for the update, Andy. Raian's mom just had a valve replace in her heart about 2 weeks ago. She is home and doing fine. I hope LG's problem is solve so well, too. I will keep her in my prayers.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with Lab Granny and family and I hope that whatever course of action is taken will have her feeling better soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts