Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been discussed here before, but I don't recall what the consensus was.
We desperately need a new couch and chair for our living room. We currently have microfiber that's 6 1/2 years old and looks like crap. It's a light tan and is just so warn. The microfiber really showed dirt, mud, water, moisture etc. The one good thing is that dog hair comes off pretty easy.
I know leather is good for dogs, durable and easy to clean and wipe fur off..... problem is I HATE leather furniture.
I browsed the local Mealey's store at lunch time. I saw a few chenile pieces I liked but can see dog hair sticking easy and not being easy to clean.
I saw 2 peices of reclining dark brown microfiber that I really liked. The best part is it doesn't LOOK reclining. With the reclining chair I wouldn't need an ottoman.
Generally speaking, to those who have micro fiber, has it held up well? I think the dark brown would not show marks as easily as the lighter color we have.

What do you all think?

Also, my husband seems to think, especially in this economy, that we can "haggle" the price. Is that appropriate? I don't want to be a jacka$$ and haggle when it's not an option.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Leather has been best for us for sure. You can always try to haggle. I have never been successful in a furniture store though. Just be prepared to walk out. I did.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are pics I took with my camera phone. I love that the chair, especially, doesn't look like a recliner.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Gotta say- seeing how easy Ken's microfiber jacket cleaned (both food/drink and dog hair), and watching rain water bead up on it has sold me on microfiber. We found a couch and chair at Unclaimed Freight that we really like, and will probably be getting.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We have microfiber and I really like it. It has a leather sort of look and it doesn't show dog hair and cleans up easily. We have a regular couch that the dogs pretty much just use, and then theater seating that we got at costco. If you are a costco member I would look there...great prices compared to the furniture stores. Otherwise look for showroom pieces or stores going out of business. Our lane store was going out of business and we got some really good deals. I did haggle with them and was very successful...got things down to a reasonable price! If you have cash, sometimes they will negotiate better than with credit.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I was never a fan of leather furniture, until I saw a Raymour & Flanigan commerical with a buttery chocolate leather sectional. I want it bad.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I love that chair. We found a place not too far from here that actually has recliners for tall people, and the footrest extended beyond my feet! I was amazed, and that is the kind of chair I want when we can afford new furniture. I am so tired of the end of the footrest hitting the backs of my ankles. :mad:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
We had leather but hated it. It never felt right sitting on it...- Dave
I can understand that- the one thing we don't like about our Ford Escape is the leather seats (although the heat in them is nice in the winter. LOL) Definitely no leather furniture for us!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a microfiber cough and I have it covered. But the parts that managed to get uncovered and come in contact with Derby, I think it's a pain in the ass to get the hair off. It's not like you can just wipe and the hair comes off. I only got that couch because leather was not in my budget at the time, but my next couch will be leather.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I don't like leather, so i had the same problem when looking as you did.. i ended up with a microfiber chair and couch that looks like an aviator jacket kind of leather, but isn't.. easy to clean but still requires vacuuming.. my last couch,no amount of vacuuming would pull the air out of the corduroy-type fabric..

this is my couch

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I love kelli's couch! Our theater seating is made out of similar material, while our couch is a lighter tan. The couch especially takes a beating and we haven't had any issues in the 2 years we've had it. Teddy does not get on the couch much, but my Bostons do.

Color seems to be a big issue with microfiber. We had a microfiber sectional that we loved, and I loved the red color, but it showed everything and never looked clean.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Oooh, I like that couch, Kelli! We have leather for the dogs, which is beginning to show some signs of wear, but is better than fabric. Maybe next time, I'll try microfibre; I like the look and feel of it.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Buy your dream sofa and keep the dog off it? LOL best run before someone shoots me!

No seriously how about leather with a throw?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts