Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are some lab coats so different? Koko's is coarse and short. I mean around her face is soft but her back is coarse and short. The rescue I looked at was long and so furry and soft. The rescue's dog was flea infested and fed old roy, Koko is very well taken care of. Just curious what the difference was.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Yes there is a purpose. Remember what the Lab was bred for. Retrieving fisherman nets in ice cold water off of Newfoundland. The short, harsher coat with an undercoat kept the dog warm and water-resistant. A fluffy coat does not repel water or ice and eventually the dog would end up cold and unable to perform.

Read the standard about coat.

Coat
The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Read the standard about coat.

Coat The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized.

I've noticed many well bred labs with wavy fur along the spine. Does that conflict with the standard?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Nope. Of course, the standard says "slight wave". Some coats are wavier than others. There's always someone who is going to misinterpret and do their own thing. I'm seeing a lot of "open" coats (not wrapped tightly around the body) that others think is a great coat.

There is a "fluffy coat" gene in Labs that tends to go back to one kennel. I can usually pick out a dog out of a group that goes back to that kennel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh lord...I DID NOT MEAN TO INSINUATE DEWCLAWS WERE OF BAD BREEDING...don't get your panties in a wad! I myself....have not seen them in awhile...it was just odd to ME!! I was just wondering why the rescue lab's coat was so soft and furry and Koko's wasn't.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.